Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 64 bit version

OK.... I'd have to agree on that... cluster computing, and multimedia applications will run more.... streamlined... but... my point was, for the average home user, 64 bit wouldn't make a difference...

Like I've said... my Quad core is running x64...maybe I'm so used to it now, that I have forgotten about 32 bit speeds... but with the XEON server here... most of the thin clients connected to it... aren't utilizing the server to what it actually can do...

PrairieFire, in your honest opinion, would 64 bit be a massive improvement to the rate at which something like airocrack-suite injects packets? or the rate at which a bruteforce or dictionary attack works? - wouldnt that come down to something like available ram and CPU speeds? and not the specific architecture differences ?

maybe I'm so used to it now, that I have forgotten about 32 bit speeds
    The "bit'dness" of a processor has nothing to do with its speed.

The fact that the majority of 64bit processors are "faster" than their 32bit counterparts is a simple matter of technological evolution.

Take a 64bit processor and down clock it to the same MHz/GHz speed as a comparable 32bit processor, test the functions they have in common (ignoring SSE/MMX or whatever might be added between generations of CPU) and there won't be any performance difference (assuming they have similar pipeline depths etc).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

fastboi

You guys can scream about 32 as long as you want, make jokes about 64, but in your mind you all know (i hope) that 64 bit is the future, and it is proved already. Sorry for bringing this thread "back to life" but i was looking if bt3 supports x64, and as i can see it does not. I guess my 4GB ddr3 1066 is only happy on my vista ultimate x64. BT3, not so much (no offense).

Quote Originally Posted by fastboi View Post
    You guys can scream about 32 as long as you want, make jokes about 64, but in your mind you all know (i hope) that 64 bit is the future, and it is proved already. Sorry for bringing this thread "back to life" but i was looking if bt3 supports x64, and as i can see it does not. I guess my 4GB ddr3 1066 is only happy on my vista ultimate x64. BT3, not so much (no offense).
    Holy dead thread! Well since this thread got brought back here is some reading material on this subject...people do READ before they post things right???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit
    I have indirectly been told to play nice...yay.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Holy dead thread! Well since this thread got brought back here is some reading material on this subject...people do READ before they post things right???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit
    No...........
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Im not sure why people are asking about 32 or 64 bit OS backtrack is not a windows program.. i have vista ultimate x64 on my laptop and it runs backtrack 3 fine

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopimp View Post
    Im not sure why people are asking about 32 or 64 bit OS backtrack is not a windows program..
    So windows works better as 64 bit or what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollopimp View Post
    i have vista ultimate x64 on my laptop and it runs backtrack 3 fine
    So backtrack runs differently depending on what OS you have on your hard disk or what do you mean?

Sorry for sounding arrogant :b, but I recall looking through your post's and it seems like you do nothing else than correct others or come with some comment after the mods already sorted things out. Why not contribute with something else instead of just playing police (: .
    - Poul Wittig

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    So windows works better as 64 bit or what do you mean?

So backtrack runs differently depending on what OS you have on your hard disk or what do you mean?
    I was wondering the same thing, since the installed os has absolutely nothing to do with backtrack, other than showing backtrack runs on 64bit hardware.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by fastboi View Post
    Thanks for coming out, perhaps you could actually take the time to read the thread and provide some useful answer to the questions already asked.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Question What would benefit?

Which programmes would actually benefit from 64-bit arcitecture/memory addressing?

I totally realise that a full 64 bit Backtrack would be more hassle than its worth, but if you were running a proper 64 bit Linux OS anyway then you could probably add those progs into it, rather than try and remake a whole distro!

I only ask because DDR2 ram is less than £10 (15 US$) a gig now, with 4 x 2Gb coming in at £70 (105 US$)! At those prices many people will have systems with more than 4Gb (the 32 bit limit) soon, and it would seem a shame not to use all of it!

I seem to recall a few members running CentOS 64 and Ubuntu 64, maybe one of them would be so good as to jump in and let us know the pros/cons of running a 64bit system and trying to incorporate some of the backtrack tools into it......

I'd take their personal experience over theory anyday!

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast