Thread: Problem installing BT5 r3 side by side win7

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Exclamation Problem installing BT5 r3 side by side win7

Hi there.

im new in backtrack and trying to install it side by side with windows.
    But when i boot usb duble click on install and getting to screen where you can chose install BT5 side by side with windows it does not show my windows installed so options i have is: erase entire disk; use largest free space or select partition manually.

Could anyone help me please...

thanks

Default Re: Problem installing BT5 r3 side by side win7

If the option is not there for you alternatively you can try a manual partitioning
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned their ISO

I had the exact same problem as you! I then had to partition some space using BT5's advanced method. Select the partition manually. Then go to your primary hard drive and give some space for linux. This will allow you to install it side by side. I did this and it worked for me. If you need any more help, feel free to message me!

Just burned their ISO

yea that what I say to do also... Also, if I am wrong, someone correct me, But what I did was this:
    get into windows
    Run Disk Manager (select for partiting and renaming partitions)
    right click on your main HD
    Shrink volume down enough so you have atleast 20-25gb for BT
    format it as ntsf
    give it a new drive Letter and New Name
    save it,
    then when you get to your option screen... if you use your slider, you will see the new FREE SPACE that you jsut created... if it is the largest free space you have
    then you can use the thiird option i think it is, which selects the next largest space(after your C: drive) to install BT to...
    Then continue your intallation from there!

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matthew3041230 View Post
    yea that what I say to do also... Also, if I am wrong, someone correct me, But what I did was this:
    get into windows
    Run Disk Manager (select for partiting and renaming partitions)
    right click on your main HD
    Shrink volume down enough so you have atleast 20-25gb for BT
    format it as ntsf
    give it a new drive Letter and New Name
    save it,
    then when you get to your option screen... if you use your slider, you will see the new FREE SPACE that you jsut created... if it is the largest free space you have
    then you can use the thiird option i think it is, which selects the next largest space(after your C: drive) to install BT to...
    Then continue your intallation from there!
    You can do that, but avoid format the new partition, It would have to be reformat when installing BT5..

The best way, by far, is to do it manually, and even create an extended partition instead of a primary one, and inside the extended one, create as much partitions as needed to install all OS you want and not be limited to 4....

Just create your own partition map (how you want to distribute your HDD space) and create as many partitions as you want, including swap partition. Use gparted and for little more advanced users use fdisk (CLI) and mkfs.xxx..

Luck.
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-02-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    You can do that, but avoid format the new partition, It would have to be reformat when installing BT5..

The best way, by far, is to do it manually, and even create an extended partition instead of a primary one, and inside the extended one, create as much partitions as needed to install all OS you want and not be limited to 4....

Just create your own partition map (how you want to distribute your HDD space) and create as many partitions as you want, including swap partition. Use gparted and for little more advanced users use fdisk (CLI) and mkfs.xxx..

Luck.
    Yea that is true... But some times people do not know how to do that exactly... they forget to check which partition they are using to install with... and the same is true for a SWAP partition.... I also suggest to make sure that you format it as EXT4 and mount it as "/". I usually would just tell people to format it through windows in order to simplify the steps.... when its done through windows, then it doesnt have to be done in the installation process; As the partition is already visible. Each to their own, for either way works. But if you know what you are doing, then yes I agree by far that manually installing is the best way to go~

Best of Luck also!