Thread: BT5v3 64 bit bootable CD not booting correctly

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default BT5v3 64 bit bootable CD not booting correctly

Backtrack: 5v3 64 bit KME .iso image, hash checked.
    PC: MSI laptop, Intel i7 with 12 Gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 570M graphics card
    Issue: Backtrack not booting correctly from DVD

Greetings!
    I've tinkered with Backtrack, and I'm really wanting to get more experience with it. I've set up a small lab in my room to start exploring it's uses. I'm still fairly new to the whole Linux thing, having a little experience with Ubuntu. But I digress...

So, my profession is network admin. I am a CCNA, CCNA-S, CCNP, and CEH. I'm working toward network security and pen testing. Hence, my need for Backtrack Experience.

I've used Backtrack 4 before, with no issues. I've had it set up as dual-boot, and as a bootable USB. This was on my ASUS PC. I d/led BT5v3 and am trying to run on my new laptop.

I d/led BT5v3, and mounted it's .iso image to a DVD. I've tried to boot my PC from that DVD. The program begins to load. I can get the screen which gives you the 6 or so load options (no networking, mounting the first harddrive, etc). I just select the default. The command prompt window opens, and it begins to implement multiple commands. But then my screen gets garbled and I cant see anything except the top and bottom portions of the screen. You can see the nice reddish "smoke" and the Backtrack graphics top and bottom, but the middle is all garbled. It's acting like a driver issue, and it's somewhat frustrating.

I've looked at some of the forum threads, and most seem to apply to after BT loads, and you enter Startx. I dont even make it that far. I get the "root:" prompt, and hit enter. Then as described above.

I've ensured I'm running latest video driver for my NVidia card. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: BT5v3 64 bit bootable CD not booting correctly

Checked the checksum for the download? Possible to try the DVD on another PC to test it? What burn settings did you use to make the DVD?

Backtrack: 5v3 64 bit KME .iso image, hash checked.
    Sorry skipped that bit.
    Last edited by Jimmy87; 01-31-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Skim reading!

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy87 View Post
    Checked the checksum for the download? Possible to try the DVD on another PC to test it? What burn settings did you use to make the DVD?

Sorry skipped that bit.
    No problem:

I've got more information on this issue:

I've d/l'ed BT5v2 and BT5v3, 64 bit, both hash checked. I've burned the .iso 's to DVD. Both do the exact same thing with my MSI laptop. I've attached a screen shot of a pic of the screen.
    I've taken both and tried them in two different laptops; they've worked just fine. Seems to be something specifically with my MSI laptop.
    I did try running BT4r2 on my MSI laptop; it loaded up just fine. So it's something specific to BT5. Any thoughts?
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

I've never really had any dealings with MSI laptops so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Are you trying to use the GNOME version by any chance, both 32 and 64-bit?

edit: Well if I'd read the same line I quoted in the last post I'd know the answer! -I guess you mean KDE.....but leads to the question have you tried the GNOME version?

Maybe some BIOS setting?
    Last edited by Jimmy87; 02-04-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: really bad skim reading