Thread: USB detecting

Just burned his ISO

Default USB detecting

Hello everyone,

I have used the BT4 Live DVD so far and did not install it anywhere until now. I have a laptop fully dedicated to BT4 and on the Live DVD it could easily detect my USB and mount it or at least access it for file manipulation. It is a standard Dane-Elec 2 GB stick, nothing fancy. Now that I have BT4 installed on the HDD it will not detect my USB anymore, I have installed USBmount via Synaptic Packages but that did not help either. I would greatly appreciate it if you could guide me in the right direction.

Have a nice day,
    PS. I have Googled this problem for specifically BT and got nowhere. I know normally in Linux you have a link to sdb* and then you mount it somewhere with mount command. Problem now is it does not detect the USB as being a sdb. Hopefully this enough information, if not do not hesitate to ask.

Slap my ass and call me Charlie, I have been such a dumbass. :$ I used fdisk -l after inserting the stick and that kind of solved it. Also I did not complete the command, I only did mount /dev/sdb1 instead of mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/ ! Sorry everyone. Problem fixed close thread. In my defence, here it is late friday afternoon. :P
    Last edited by Guerreiro; 01-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: USB detecting

I have 2 DaneElec sticks, one is 1GB, but says it's 512MB (I had a great lolz over that) The other is a 4GB.
    I have not installed USBmount.
    Most times after I plug these things in, the window for them automatically opens.......but if not,
    I plug them in, open my file explorer (Konqueror), navigate to system:/media
    Refresh and there they are. I unplug them and poof gone. The wonders of auto-detect huh?

I don't usually need to manually mount anything anymore, not even my old 80GB external.

That's my $0.02.

For anybody else that comes to this thread looking for answers on using USB drives:

Check permissions. I just had a similar problem last night and it turned out that for whatever reason the account that I had made for myself did not have permissions to mount/unmount external drives. No idea why. Changed permissions and smooth sailing after that.

Just burned his ISO

Some things go fine in Linux, but when you hit a problem then the solutions can be difficult to find. I will use that system:/media see if that helps as well instead of manually mounting them all the time and look into my permissions. Thank you both for the info.