Thread: netgear wg111v2 in vmware?

Default netgear wg111v2 in vmware?

hey!

long time member and reader, i've only posted a few times. i've searched and searched for the solution to this problem but could not find a definite answer on here or within the realm of google.

i just started using vmware as opposed to booting off o the livecd. i cant get my netgear wg111v2 (realtek driver) to register as the correct interface. i start up vmware and vmnet0 bridges with it, my vmnet1 is set to "vmware network adapter vmnet1", and vmnet8 is set to "vmware network adapter vmnet8". i am running windows xp as my os (bt2 obviously in the vmware player). the internet within vmware works, but my ifconfig displays the interface as eth0. i want to do wireless fun, so i want it to register under wlan0.

on the actual vmware player i unclick the "Ethernet" button along the top and click the "NetGear USB Device" button. in windows it disconnects it and then it is reconnected in vmware, but it doesnt show up. i try airmon-ng start wlan0 with no luck... it just says "Interface Chipset Driuver" without any text displayed below it.

any ideas??

Developer

I guess the first question would be "did it work with the live cd"? If it did then you have a vmware config problem.

indeed it did. ran under the iface wlan0, sorry. then however i was using wep on my linksys router, now im using wpa-psk, if that makes any difference. but like i said i can use the internet if i have it bridged as eth0 to windows, but i need it under a different iface name so i can use it for wifi fun. thanks! hope i cleared that up.

anyone?

Developer

did it work with wpa under the live cd? unfortunately I am not a vmware expert but it sounds to me you need a modprobe command or something to jump start BT into seeing your card. Im sure someone more knowledgeable in vmware will see this

i never got to try it with wpa and the livecd. i moved and set u pa new network here with wpa and instead of reburning the livecd i started using vmware. and thanks purehate, i appreciate the help. i really dont know what could be wrong with it, though im nearly positive youre right in that it is a vmware config problem

(bump) anyone get this ever???