Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub error 22

Just burned his ISO

Default -SOLVED- Grub error 22

I,m attempting to install BT 2 on a compaq presario laptop. The machine was previously loaded with Suse 10.1. There were no problems with the install. However, when I boot without the live cd it hangs at "Grub Loading Please wait....
    Error 22

all partions are mounted and can be seen with the"P" option in fdisk. Also the live cd worked well with no problems.

Thanks In advance

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by slomem View Post
    I,m attempting to install BT 2 on a compaq presario laptop. The machine was previously loaded with Suse 10.1. There were no problems with the install. However, when I boot without the live cd it hangs at "Grub Loading Please wait....
    Error 22

all partions are mounted and can be seen with the"P" option in fdisk. Also the live cd worked well with no problems.

Thanks In advance
    Most likely when you installed backtrack you over wrote the MBR with lilo which is backtracks bootloader. The reason you get nothing is probably because since lilo was not properly excecuted to over write grub. Now you have two half non working bootloaders. choose one and reinstall it.

Just burned his ISO

Default grub error 22

Thank You for the fast response. while loading the live cd I saw no optiion for the boot loader. when I go to the terminal and attempt to access the etc/lilo.conf file I get a permission denied error.

Quote Originally Posted by slomem View Post
    Thank You for the fast response. while loading the live cd I saw no optiion for the boot loader. when I go to the terminal and attempt to access the etc/lilo.conf file I get a permission denied error.
    Did you chroot into the HDD install first?

Developer

When loading the live cd you should have no issue with grub as it is a different boot sector. I was under the impression that you installed to your hard drive. If you did install to your hard drive and you are using the cd to recover than you must use the chroot command to get a shell from the mounted partition. You cannot run lilo from the cd

Just burned his ISO

Default grub errror 22

no I did not perform a chroot during install. At what point during install do I issue that command. I read the 14 page instructions several times before attempting the install. I did manage to read the lilo.conf and as you guessed it was empty.

I,ll take a breather and a couple of valium before I try again

Thanks again

Default grub or lilo

You have a partial install. purehate was correct and it appears that you have a problem with the MBR.

I THINK that the problem is that grub remains and is looking for a non-existent kernel location (because it had SuSe previously and now has BT.

You can perhaps use your liveCD to make a rescue system available, then mount the hard disk where grub lives and change it to point correctly at one or other of your kernels. However at this stage I think the best recourse as it is early in development is to reinstall BT and select to install lilo on the MBR.

If I have misinterpreted your problem or configuration let us know and we will respond to help.
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Default grub error 22

A reinstall is OK. as it is early. However, during the install I never saw where I could select Lilo or grub. When Or where do I install Lilo or grub ? All of your replies are kind and helpful it's not easy being a noob.

Follow the dualboot video and transcript on the wiki and you will be fine.

Just burned his ISO

Smile grub error 22

Thank You. I'll post the results by Thursday afternoon. Thanks again for your patience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast