Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: -=Xploitz=- For Hire??

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    Sounds like good sound advice. Thanks guys !

BTW is Nortons Ghost good for this?? Or is there something better? If its software that cost..don't worry..I have a few friends and some cash I can spend to buy the software..so if theres any suggestions for Image making and backing up...please ..do tell!!
    You may like to take a look here, there were a few programs discussed there.

Don't forget the Winternals stuff.
    Particularly the administrators pack. You can "load" a non-booting machines registry, for editing, etc. Not to mention the other tools included....

Also, get yourself a decent post card. These can save a lot of time.

A silly gadget, but worth mentioning - considering the regularly failing psu's these days, you can get a very cheap little device, about the size of a box of matches, with rows of LED's for each voltage line, that you simply plug the psu into (atx plug, molex's, etc) Instant psu diagnosis
    (no more stuffing probes into each pin!)

Just some quick thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by elazar View Post
    I have a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Titanium with BT, BartPE, DBAN. I got BartPE to boot off of it using SIBLO(http://simplux.org/siblo/) which can load the NT boot loader. I had to patch the NTLDR so that BartPE would boot from a subdirectory and not the root of the device(I have instructions posted somewhere on the MSFN forums). You could probably add Hiren and UBCD to this too and have a nice little recovery kit that fits on your keychain.

E
    Using a bootable recovery USB is also most useful when dealing with computers that either don't have or have non-functional CD rom drives (like undocked laptops).

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

I have 2 80gb HDD of tools AAAGGGGHHH!! I can spend like 3 hours at my desk downloading crap that I already have lol. I need to sort it all out and get a new external HDD. If I get time in the next week or two I will post a tree of tools I use on a regular basis. But the main thing I do is the old "My internet dosn't work" Fixed in two mins but a dr green 2 two mins could take an hour or two lol.

I buy gigabyte boards, they have a norton ghost like software built onto the bios. Customers love it because restoring is as easy as f7 f9 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Particularly the administrators pack. You can "load" a non-booting machines registry, for editing, etc. Not to mention the other tools included....
    I can't even count how many times Winternals has saved my ass
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/mybrain

I've only used ProcessExplorer since Microsoft acquired Sysinternals/Winternals have they really killed or done away with any of the software yet?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I know that this thread seems to be about helping people with crashed computers out of a jam, but i've done something similar with a more basic audience, the dell user.

There are a lot of people who have no problem plunking down a reasonable amount of money to have their computers run like new and not have all that stuff bogging it down.

When i was a freshman in college (4 and a half years ago), i decided to make extra cash fixing computers.

During winter break, i came up with a holiday-ish type flier and put one on the mailbox of every house in the development. I got 2-3 bites for the 100 fliers i put out ($25 an hour for troubleshooting, setup, and training or a $20 tune up for running various tests and manually removing stuff that norton, spybot, stinger, and a few other good testing tools couldn't remove).

I figured best buy was running $100+ for the same services, so i could do better for a fifth of the price.

Of those 3 bites, 2 became repeat clients and one turned into a contact that provided me with an internship that became my current job in data forensics. Another paid a nice chunk of change for website design.

I know its not quite the level you're going for, but if you can manage to find a few self-employed people (day traders are good for this) who realize that paying a computer savvy college kid will save money and all that good stuff, they'll be better off.

The best thing you can do? Design a flier advertising your skills, canvas a neighborhood, and put yourself out there.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    You may like to take a look here, there were a few programs discussed there.
    nice thread b_p

time and experience has showed me that the easier the GUI is to the user the better, Ghost has proven that is the father of all disk imaging programs out there (the only thing norton did w/o cloggin up the RAM or the CPU, ex. Norton Antivirus )

i once had a client that requested a CD with all the tools of his main PC, he had a cyber cafe so all the PC's were identical, and when i showed him the install with the Ghost CD, it appeared that he had found the Holy Grail or something , it helps because the user feels a little bit of empowerment when he they're doing an install, and they will love you for it

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I've only used ProcessExplorer since Microsoft acquired Sysinternals/Winternals have they really killed or done away with any of the software yet?
    I don't know.........I've stuck with pre-M$ Winternals so far...

Anyone else know??

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I don't know.........I've stuck with pre-M$ Winternals so far...

Anyone else know??
    Microsoft isn't completely evil, sometimes they do nice things.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx

They even did some improvements to some of the products after they purchased them.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast