Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7, Backtrack 5r3 Wireless & VMware wireless issues- Please help

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Windows 7, Backtrack 5r3 Wireless & VMware wireless issues- Please help

Good evening alll.... Hope the best and hope you are able to help me. I will first start by giving a descriptive list of my machine and components:

I have Windows 7 on the HD, and I have BackTrack 5 R3 on a 40gb partition so as a dual boot:

Toshiba Satellite C655D
    Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 64-bit
    AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 1.30Ghz
    4.00 GB RAM
    roughly 300 gb HD
    This is my NIC Card: Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
    Wireless Card: Realtek TRL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

Now I have a couple of questions: My first has to do with my dual boot for BackTrack R3:
    As I am logged in as root, when I go to my network manager and connect either wirelessy or wired in: My system freezes up and does not become operable any longer and requires a restart. Sometimes I can connect but it freezes for a couple minutes then its all good... happens both wired and wirelesly... is this a bug in the system or am I at fault some way?

1.) When I first log into backtrack, I go to run either Fern wifi cracker or any program that requires a scan of wireless networks.. and after I do scan and locate them, when I can use what ever program I choose: Fern, Aircrack-ng, ect: with that being said, after I close those programs and try to run my network manager it does not locate networks either wireless or wired. I am not sure how to get back track to recognize any networks after initial scans thus requiring a restart to run another program that requires a scan to use that program....

2.) Is it possible to get BackTrack to recognize the wireless card installed in the pc through VMware Workstation, or must it use the connection from the host network? Which is what I am currently doing in order to use the net in my VMmachine... if so, what are the steps to make this happen?

(note: all drivers are currently up-to-date)
    (note: I have re-installed several times to try and resolve all of my current issues and have even re-downloaded BackTrack)

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Windows 7, Backtrack 5r3 Wireless & VMware wireless issues- Please help

1. ifconfig wlan0 down ; airmon-ng stop mon0 ; ifconfig wlan0 up
    that should do the trick

2. no its not possible if your using the adapter in windows

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Windows 7, Backtrack 5r3 Wireless & VMware wireless issues- Please help

I must take the time out to say thank you for replying to my thread.... the info was helpful but honestly after some tinkering, just out of curiosity I installed Ubuntu drivers for my wireless card and chip set and that seemed to have also solved my issue. I did a complete re-install and then placed fresh drivers in Backtrack. That seemed to have cured that.

Now onto the issue in VMware, I was almost certain that you could not use the host internal wireless card.... I know that if its the USB wireless I am pretty sure that it will read it with proper drivers and USB discovery packages. *should it not find it*

So once again, thanks for your time in reading and replying. I am sure that I will have many more questions....But I always try to wiki my questions or search and search before I ask because I know some 10,000 people before me have asked the very same.

Have a good evening!

Matthew R. *

Just burned their ISO

Alright... Now I did say a earlier that I was good to go.... I was fooled for sure... Now even by issuing the above commands, or issuing networking start/stop I still cannot even get the network manager to even locate a single Network again...even by knowing the bssid number, and manually imputting it in the networking tab under networking it will not recognize it...k Any ideas besides another reinstallation ?????? hahaha here we go again......

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

In your preferences for WICD, have you checked to ensure the correct adapter is chosen ?

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by TAPE View Post
    In your preferences for WICD, have you checked to ensure the correct adapter is chosen ?
    Yes, I am using the wext driver and on the back end I left it as it was because as default, the other one is not supported....
    So I am kind of left with a blank.........

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

I'd like to quote:
    "I have Windows 7 on the HD, and I have BackTrack 5 R3 on a 40gb partition so as a dual boot:" ---------My question: Still working with HDD install?

As I am logged in as root, when I go to my network manager and connect either wirelessy or wired in: My system freezes up and does not become operable any longer and requires a restart. Sometimes I can connect but it freezes for a couple minutes then its all good... happens both wired and wirelesly... is this a bug in the system or am I at fault some way? ------ No bug in Networking Manager or WICD. At fault?..Perhaps.

And here my question would be:
    What is the driver used by kernel?...Did you know that to scan AP's or networks, the card needs to be in monitor mode? ...Did you know that in order to connect to an AP or Network wirelessly, card needs to be in Managed Mode?..Do you know how to change or switch modes in the wifi interface?
    Is your chipset supported by aircrack-ng to set device in monitor mode and inject?...

1.) When I first log into backtrack, I go to run either Fern wifi cracker or any program that requires a scan of wireless networks.. and after I do scan and locate them, when I can use what ever program I choose: Fern, Aircrack-ng, ect: with that being said, after I close those programs and try to run my network manager it does not locate networks either wireless or wired. I am not sure how to get back track to recognize any networks after initial scans thus requiring a restart to run another program that requires a scan to use that program.... I answered this question above..Need to be in Managed mode.

2.) Is it possible to get BackTrack to recognize the wireless card installed in the pc through VMware Workstation, or must it use the connection from the host network? Which is what I am currently doing in order to use the net in my VMmachine... if so, what are the steps to make this happen?
    In VM no Internal wifis are recognized, period..You need a USB device.

I highly recommend you to read more. Read before using something you have never used. When in linux, think linux, do not think windows or mouse clicks or "auto install" or "one click will do it for you". Also read more about linux basics, you will need it for the CLI (console commands)..

If you need help, you have an entire community here, but you need to do your homework, read and learn linux basics, my friend.
    luck.
    Last edited by maverik35; 01-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Yes it's possible for you to get BackTrack to recognize the wireless card installed in the pc through VMware Workstation using "NAT" setting in the network adapter in the Vmware machine setting.

Just burned their ISO

well I solved this issue by downloading and installing compat-wireless package.... it really solved everything... including the error when i start n/w manager that says error connecting to D-bus.... and solved the issue of BT freezing when connecting to the net. So if you are having any issues as such, I suggest that you install the same.
    I appreciate all the help and all the information. BTW, I have done as much homework and reading up that I can. I usually spend about 3 days looking and reading before I do any posting on these threads.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by matthew3041230 View Post
    well I solved this issue by downloading and installing compat-wireless package.... it really solved everything... including the error when i start n/w manager that says error connecting to D-bus.... and solved the issue of BT freezing when connecting to the net. So if you are having any issues as such, I suggest that you install the same.
    I appreciate all the help and all the information. BTW, I have done as much homework and reading up that I can. I usually spend about 3 days looking and reading before I do any posting on these threads.

im on windows 7 and i was wondering how i install the compat wireless package. i downloaded it from the site but i dont know how to install it. backtrack will not recognized my wireless card on my laptop when i use fern or anything. what do i do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast