Thread: Multi boot

Just burned his ISO

Default Multi boot

When I try to create a multi-boot livecd with different linux distros, I run into a little problem with BT2.
    The default livecd have /boot and /BT in root of cd.
    Now many other distros use the /boot directory, so I would like to change it.

So far so good, so I take the slax.bif and hex edit to change /boot/ to /back/
    and after change the /boot name to /back.

Now this is just the start, in many other posts they assume this is all what needs to be done, but that is far from truth.
    Doing this result in the well-known error "cannot find BT".

For example I found /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg that also points to the /boot directory and I can only assume several others will too.

Does anyone ever did this and perhaps know in what places the /boot reference needs to be changed and if it worked?

Thanks!

Default not known

Please clarify your enquiry.

I do not know that a CD can hold multiple distributions (except as storage).

I do not know of a LiveCD program by which the bootstrapping sequence is interupted when a CD is chosen as the initial medium.

If a CD (typically) is not the initial medium the first target is the MBR in which can reside a pointer to permit system choice.
    Lux sit

Yes, there is already at least one of these around, it is a DVD with the 10 most popular security distros on each selectable at boot from a menu. The last version I saw of it included whax auditor and backtrack beta2 or it may have been beta1, I can't remember exactly right now, although the creator was saying that a new version with final was coming.

There are several tutorials around the net on doing this along with a suite of tools required to do it. I looked into it quite a while ago, but I don't have that research to hand right now, but I do remember that all your questions were discussed, and it was a very simple thing to do.

The key to it is the the tools required create the disc, which iirc were discussed on the site that the DVD was available from.

You might wanna just checkout:
    http://securedvd.org/index.html

A lot of the *nix mags give away multi-booting dvd's these days too, although there are issues as to which distros can live alongside each other happily.

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    A lot of the *nix mags give away multi-booting dvd's these days too, although there are issues as to which distros can live alongside each other happily.
    My research showed that there often had to be quite a bit of fudging to make them all reside on the same disk. I didn't like that, so gave up the research, as fudging like is required can often break stuff without you knowing, and with so many OS's on the same disk, where would you start looking.

Just burned his ISO

Absolutely right...

The reason is quite easy, because many different distros use the same foldernames like /boot and /isolinux.
    Many tutorials just say the you need to change these foldernames (for example /boot to /back) and then hex edit slax.bif and point to the new name.

It is however far from the solution, because you would need to make similar changes in quite a number of other files to make the livecd boot.

I guess it is similar when trying to change /i386 for a windos installation?
    Not sure about that though, i know you can change the location of the i386 but a rename i never tried...