So I'm thinking about going out and buying a cheap laptop I can use for pen testing. I've been using my work laptop, and I'm concerned about doing anything questionable with a giant work logo on the lid of my machine. Plus, I don't relish the idea of bringing my laptop to a security convention, when the first rule of such gatherings is to avoid exposing any hardware that you don't want to get hacked.

So, dollar for dollar, it seems like the Chromebooks that have just come out are a decent alternative to a flimsy netbook. I have seen a couple isolated hits on Google about successfully installing BT on one, but there are no returns for a search on Chromebook in these forums, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm reasonably sure I can get BT5 installed without incident (though I notice that there is a Chromebook with an Intel proc, and one with a Samsung proc; jury's still out on the latter), but as for things like getting the integrated wireless card to do promiscuous mode/injection, various driver compatibility, I just wanted to ask around before I dropped the cash on one. As much as I like the idea of not having to pay a premium for a Windows OS on a new laptop, I'm not sold on ChromeOS yet, so hopefully someone has made the early adoption already and can tell us how it is. Thanks!