Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Intel integrated graphics are not working

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Intel integrated graphics are not working

hey guys,

I had found this link:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...p/t-55938.html

Here they talk about upgrading kernel 3.2.6 to 3.2.15 could fix the issue.
    Shall i do it?
    Any risk involved? Coz i have read that upgrading backtrack 5 r3 is converting it to ubuntu distro.
    Any backup plan by which it could be experimented and reverted?
    How to upgrade just kernel lettting everything as it is with backup ?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zigmos View Post
    hey guys,

I had found this link:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...p/t-55938.html

Here they talk about upgrading kernel 3.2.6 to 3.2.15 could fix the issue.
    Shall i do it?
    Any risk involved? Coz i have read that upgrading backtrack 5 r3 is converting it to ubuntu distro.
    Any backup plan by which it could be experimented and reverted?
    How to upgrade just kernel lettting everything as it is with backup ?
    Refer to this first: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

Then this: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i965-va-driver

And then this: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...-stack-release (Read it all)

Then if any of that helps, yes, you might want to change kernel since kernles >3.4 support i965 driver.

driver fbdev is a fallback when kernel does not finds any proper module to your hardware..No matter what you do, or what you change, it will always fallback to fbdev..Because hardware is not supported by kernel..Need a i965 driver either included in newer kernels or download package and install it..And see if it works...

As to changing kernel, perhaps, and only perhaps, some app will not work, why?..Because some were compiled with another kernel....Which ones? I do not know, you will see it when installing new kernel...

After trying Xorg -configure and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, if still nothing, kernel does not support that video hardware, shamely i915 is not for HD4000, does not support HD4000, then just need the i965-va-driver, again, either from debian packages (link above) or changing newer kernel with i965 driver support. But I had to try out all posibilities, and I think I did.

Now you have to move on to the next thing, other solutios as I posted above. But first try the debian package, install dependencies and see if it works..
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-18-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Just burned their ISO

hey wepwapwee,

i had tried manually changing driver from "fbdev " to "intel" after gui loads , i.e. i get logged into my gui, but after reboot it fails to load gui.
    Now, Pleas tell me one thing if i run modprobe command before startx , wont it be permanent if my graphics shifts ??How i will be able to revert it back then ?
    Also i had tried ppa glasen driver once, it did same and my graphics shifted by 3'' approx and that was permanent and i had to reinstall BT.
    So please suggest some backup plan so that if something goes wrong i could restore it back.
    To quickly answer your question: modprobe command is not permanent, meaning that after reboot you have to execute it again (from cmd line, before doing startx).
    To make it permanent, add the following line to the /etc/modules: i915 modeset=1. To add the line, execute the following command, as root:
    Code:
    # echo "i915 modeset=1" >> /etc/modules
    Then reboot and you'll see that i915 gets loaded at boot time.

I'll try to summarize your issue, and what I see as a solution for it.
    Your problem: your Intel HD4000 adapter is not working (no graphical acceleration, no native resolution).

Solution: You need to tinker with three things
    1) Your i915 kernel driver must be loaded with "modeset=1" option. This is done either using "modprobe i915 modeset=1" each time you boot or by make it permanent by applying what I wrote above(add it to /etc/modules)
    2) Your Xorg Intel driver must be updated from glasen ppa. See my previous posts on how to do it.
    3) Your Xorg must be instructed(!) to use the Xorg Intel driver, by adding Driver "intel" to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

You need to do ALL these before you attempt to do the startx and check your resolution!
    Last edited by WepWapWee; 02-18-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Hi again, one last suggestion which is worth to try: Get rid of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file!
    Explanation: the newer versions of Xorg (bt5r3 has such an Xorg version) are using HAL(hardware abstraction layer) to identify your graphics hardware automatically, without needing to specify things in xorg.conf file.
    So, do the following command - as root - to get rid of your xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    # mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.off
    Note: Obviously, if you decide to start using again xorg.conf, you just do mv /etc/X11/xorg.off /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And now do the first two steps written in my previous post. I'll write them again:
    1) Your i915 kernel driver must be loaded with "modeset=1" option. This is done either using "modprobe i915 modeset=1" each time you boot or by make it permanent by applying what I wrote above(add it to /etc/modules)
    2) Your Xorg Intel driver must be updated from glasen ppa. See my previous posts on how to do it.
    Do BOTH steps 1) and 2) and try to startx afterwards!

If it's not working, you can again start to use xorg.conf.
    Let us know if this approach gives any results.
    Last edited by WepWapWee; 02-18-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by WepWapWee View Post
    Hi again, one last suggestion which is worth to try: Get rid of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file!
    Explanation: the newer versions of Xorg (bt5r3 has such an Xorg version) are using HAL(hardware abstraction layer) to identify your graphics hardware automatically, without needing to specify things in xorg.conf file.
    So, do the following command - as root - to get rid of your xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    # mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.off
    Note: Obviously, if you decide to start using again xorg.conf, you just do mv /etc/X11/xorg.off /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And now do the first two steps written in my previous post. I'll write them again:

Do BOTH steps 1) and 2) and try to startx afterwards!

If it's not working, you can again start to use xorg.conf.
    Let us know if this approach gives any results.
    Hey dude,

i followed following steps :
    1) moved xorg.conf file
    2)modprobe i915 modeset=1

Result: still same problem of shifting on screen right side.

Now 1 question please, how to backup driver before initiating ppa/glasen , so that i could revert if anything goes wrong?
    Last edited by zigmos; 02-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Refer to this first: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

Then this: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i965-va-driver

And then this: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...-stack-release (Read it all)

Then if any of that helps, yes, you might want to change kernel since kernles >3.4 support i965 driver.

driver fbdev is a fallback when kernel does not finds any proper module to your hardware..No matter what you do, or what you change, it will always fallback to fbdev..Because hardware is not supported by kernel..Need a i965 driver either included in newer kernels or download package and install it..And see if it works...

As to changing kernel, perhaps, and only perhaps, some app will not work, why?..Because some were compiled with another kernel....Which ones? I do not know, you will see it when installing new kernel...

After trying Xorg -configure and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, if still nothing, kernel does not support that video hardware, shamely i915 is not for HD4000, does not support HD4000, then just need the i965-va-driver, again, either from debian packages (link above) or changing newer kernel with i965 driver support. But I had to try out all posibilities, and I think I did.

Now you have to move on to the next thing, other solutios as I posted above. But first try the debian package, install dependencies and see if it works..
    sorry maverik35 , being a newbie i was unable to understand exactly what steps i need to execute, i.e what commands i need to execute ?

Just burned their ISO

Hey dude,

i followed following steps :
    1) moved xorg.conf file
    2)modprobe i915 modeset=1

Result: still same problem of shifting on screen right side.

Now 1 question please, how to backup driver before initiating ppa/glasen , so that i could revert if anything goes wrong?
    You don't need to backup driver before initiating ppa/glasen. The original driver is part of the BT repositories.
    If you want to revert to the original, do the following
    1) Delete the file that it's added when you add glasen ppa: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/glasen-intel-driver-lucid.list
    2) Uninstall the packages upgraded by ppa glasen. Do:
    Code:
    apt-get remove libdrm-dev libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau1 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libglu1-mesa-dev mesa-common-dev xserver-xorg-video-intel
    3) Now that the glasen-intel-driver-lucid.list is deleted, reinstall the packages from the BT repo. Do:
    Code:
    apt-get install libdrm-dev libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau1 libdrm-radeon1  libdrm2 libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa  libglu1-mesa-dev mesa-common-dev xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Note: The 3-step procedure above is NOT tested by me, it's just what I think is the logical solution. So try it at your own risk. In the worst case, just do the bt re-install... :|

The main point is: you MUST upgrade the Xorg Intel drivers. The version 2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5 0, included in the BT repos, is NOT good enough for the newer graphic cards like HD4000.

So: upgrade Xorg Intel drivers + load i915 with modeset=1, get rid of your xorg.conf fie and try startx.
    I repeat: all these steps must be done!

Just burned their ISO

Hello everybody,

I am new in here but following this thread in hope to get rid of my problem:
    it makes me a little bit sick cause I want to use Backtrack also got some good knowledge in networking and M$ - on Linux only....how to say "~User-Know-How~"

Facing the same problem with the i915 driver and my Intel HD 4000 Card (BT5r3-gnome-64bit). But my problem is that my notebook screen is flickering in all colors when the i915 driver is loaded/in use. Same device ID but different subsystem.

Also included is a NVIDIA GT650 graphics card which is working fine - pyrit and optirun make no problems. I don't have the option in BIOS to disable the Intel Graphics. (OPTIMUS Stuff)

My results so far (after 3 weeks of reading and trying and also a little bit crying)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text i915.modeset=1 nomodeset"
    when using i915 (2:2.15.0 provided by glasen) / Code-Output attached:

- I am ONLY able to get a screen output when connecting via D-Sub (VGA) or via HDMI - I don't understand that.
    - Using a xorg.conf file and choosing intel -- screen flickering - output VGA or HDMI is ok.
    - Using a xorg.conf file and choosing fbdev is quite ok but I read that this is only a fallback (thanks for information).
    - NOT using a xorg.conf file -- screen flickering - output VGA or HDMI is ok.

when i915 is not loaded:
    - NOT using a xorg.conf file - falling back to VESA
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0166 (rev 09)
    	Subsystem: Dell Device 0552
    	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    	Latency: 0
    	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 46
    	Region 0: Memory at d2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    	Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    	Region 4: I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]
    	Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable+
    		Address: fee3000c  Data: 41b1
    	Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
    		Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    	Capabilities: [a4] PCIe advanced features <?>
    	Kernel driver in use: i915
    for the moment I am using the i915 driver but as I told my notebook screen flickers like hell and I am could get epileptic

as you can see I am using the latest intel driver provided by glasen.
    apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-intel:
    Code:
    root@bt:~# acp xserver-xorg-video-intel
    xserver-xorg-video-intel:
      Installed: 2:2.15.0~lucid~ppa9
      Candidate: 2:2.15.0~lucid~ppa9
      Version table:
     *** 2:2.15.0~lucid~ppa9 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/glasen/intel-driver/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         2:2.11.0-1ubuntu1~xup 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
         2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5 0
            500 http://64.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/main Packages
            500 http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org/ revolution/main Packages
    When I tried to install the i965-va-driver_1.0.17-1_amd64.deb provided from maverik35's post I am getting following error:
    Code:
    root@bt:~/downloads# dpkg -i i965-va-driver_1.0.17-1_amd64.deb 
    Selecting previously deselected package i965-va-driver.
    (Reading database ... 281191 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking i965-va-driver (from i965-va-driver_1.0.17-1_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of i965-va-driver:
     i965-va-driver depends on libva1 (>> 1.0.15~); however:
      Package libva1 is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing i965-va-driver (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     i965-va-driver
    Also included modinfo i915:
    Code:
    root@bt:~# modinfo i915
    filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.6/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
    license:        GPL and additional rights
    description:    Intel Graphics
    author:         Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
    license:        GPL and additional rights
    srcversion:     951D8FD7124BD3EC25E7BD9
    depends:        drm,drm_kms_helper,video,i2c-algo-bit
    intree:         Y
    vermagic:       3.2.6 SMP mod_unload 
    parm:           modeset:Use kernel modesetting [KMS] (0=DRM_I915_KMS from .config, 1=on, -1=force vga console preference [default]) (int)
    parm:           fbpercrtc:int
    parm:           panel_ignore_lid:Override lid status (0=autodetect [default], 1=lid open, -1=lid closed) (int)
    parm:           powersave:Enable powersavings, fbc, downclocking, etc. (default: true) (int)
    parm:           semaphores:Use semaphores for inter-ring sync (default: -1 (use per-chip defaults)) (int)
    parm:           i915_enable_rc6:Enable power-saving render C-state 6 (default: -1 (use per-chip default) (int)
    parm:           i915_enable_fbc:Enable frame buffer compression for power savings (default: -1 (use per-chip default)) (int)
    parm:           lvds_downclock:Use panel (LVDS/eDP) downclocking for power savings (default: false) (int)
    parm:           lvds_use_ssc:Use Spread Spectrum Clock with panels [LVDS/eDP] (default: auto from VBT) (int)
    parm:           vbt_sdvo_panel_type:Override selection of SDVO panel mode in the VBT (default: auto) (int)
    parm:           reset:Attempt GPU resets (default: true) (bool)
    parm:           enable_hangcheck:Periodically check GPU activity for detecting hangs. WARNING: Disabling this can cause system wide hangs. (default: true) (bool)
    As I told I don't have good knowledge in Linux but I think that the problem results in the kernel (see THIS POST). Actually I am also not familiar with installing a different kernel which I really would like to try. If someone could provide me a good guide how to do that I will try and report again.

Hopefully we can share our expiriences and skills to solve the annoying Intel HD 4000+i915 problem.

Thanks everyone who provided lots of information and guidelines in here that some not so well experienced users like myself and other can use the i915 driver.

Don't know if this will help, but try it and let me know =)

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48601

It's a method I no longer use as you can see by my last post, but it did work for me...granted i'm i915, but anything is worth a shot =)

Lemme know =)
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tr00n3r View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am new in here but following this thread in hope to get rid of my problem:
    it makes me a little bit sick cause I want to use Backtrack also got some good knowledge in networking and M$ - on Linux only....how to say "~User-Know-How~"

Facing the same problem with the i915 driver and my Intel HD 4000 Card (BT5r3-gnome-64bit). But my problem is that my notebook screen is flickering in all colors when the i915 driver is loaded/in use. Same device ID but different subsystem.

Also included is a NVIDIA GT650 graphics card which is working fine - pyrit and optirun make no problems. I don't have the option in BIOS to disable the Intel Graphics. (OPTIMUS Stuff)

My results so far (after 3 weeks of reading and trying and also a little bit crying)

When I tried to install the i965-va-driver_1.0.17-1_amd64.deb provided from maverik35's post I am getting following error:
    Code:
    root@bt:~/downloads# dpkg -i i965-va-driver_1.0.17-1_amd64.deb 
    Selecting previously deselected package i965-va-driver.
    (Reading database ... 281191 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking i965-va-driver (from i965-va-driver_1.0.17-1_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of i965-va-driver:
     i965-va-driver depends on libva1 (>> 1.0.15~); however:
      Package libva1 is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing i965-va-driver (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     i965-va-driver
    As I told I don't have good knowledge in Linux but I think that the problem results in the kernel (see THIS POST). Actually I am also not familiar with installing a different kernel which I really would like to try. If someone could provide me a good guide how to do that I will try and report again.

Hopefully we can share our expiriences and skills to solve the annoying Intel HD 4000+i915 problem.

Thanks everyone who provided lots of information and guidelines in here that some not so well experienced users like myself and other can use the i915 driver.
    Module i915 doesn't support HD 4000, you need to try i965. Now I see errors when compiling, that's because of the dependencies. If you refer to the Debian page where you downloaded i965, it states the dependencies that has to be installed before installing the i965...You need to see if installed, if not, try to install trhem with aptitude. If not in repos, in the same page, you can download dependencies..Same thing, if .deb, just use dpkg. Also make sure things needed to compile:
    - linux headers
    - build-essential (it includes gcc, fakeroot, etc)...

The driver is still in the "working process", and you have to try it before installing newer kernel, in which case, would be the same driver just in newer kernels (I belive is in krnels >=3.4)..
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast