Thread: Compiz Issue bt5r3

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Compiz Issue bt5r3

Hello,

I run backtrack as a main OS, and recently I wanted to dress it up a bit with Compiz.

Linux bt 3.2.6 #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 10:34:20 EST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have followed all directions on the tutorial here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=29035 the only thing I wasn't able to grab was ' compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported ' but everything installed fine, in my rc.local file I added everything just like the tutorial but left out the compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported package. What happens is when I reboot everything loads fine with no errors before prompting root log in. After I startx everything loads fine, but the blue icon for the Compiz Fusion isn't in my upper bar, and my settings which are woggle windows do not work.. When I manually load Compiz Fusion Icons it loads fine > right click I have tried each option differently with no success. The screen flickers and nothing happens..

When I type just 'compiz' in my terminal this is what happens

Code:
    Unrecognized deviceID 126
    compiz (core) - Fatal: No valid GL extensions string found.
    compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
    compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager

I have been googling the issue for a day now and suspect its something to do with my intel card..

Code:
    lshw -c video
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 09
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:50 memory:dd000000-dd3fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:e000(size=64)
    The computer I have is a Asus laptop, I have tried to get compiz to play nicely with my intel i915 card, because this has worked before on bt5 32bit for me

Code:
    apt-get purge nvidia-*
    apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
    I have also followed another tutorial on here when I first installed to load my i915 driver here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48904 , not sure if this is of any help I have got this to work before on another install of bt5 32bit.

Any advice or a pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated

Thank you

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Compiz Issue bt5r3

Hello I was able to fix my issue with adding ' nouveau.modeset=0 ' to my grub.cfg file after ro:

Code:
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='(hd0,5)'
    	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e5430854-ded8-45f9-ad1c-f99eac9a17b1
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.6 root=UUID=e5430854-ded8-45f9-ad1c-f99eac9a17b1 ro nouveau.modeset=0 text video=i915:modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie_aspm=force
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.2.6
    }
    After I added that I reinstalled the drivers

Code:
    apt-get purge nvidia-*
    apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
    Then I rebooted, compiz did not auto load like suggested it should in rc.local, but after startx I am able to load the compiz fusion icons and use 'reload windows manager' to get it working.. I was also able to find the compiz unsupported files here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ns-unsupported Though I have yet to get all of the window effects to work correctly, I am still pleased with the progress and the way it looks for now...