Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: eee-pc... 2nd GEN ANOUNCED !!!!

No worries...

8GB model not out till new year, though the chap in the shop said that the screen will also be 10" instead of 7" for the same footprint.....very intersting....all 4gb models will have a 7" screen all 8gb models a 10" screen....

do a search "eeepc 10 inch screen" to see the news as of yesterday...

Just burned his ISO

I spoke to my Asus rep and as addyman said, gonna have to wait till new year for the 8gb/1gb model. For the time being if you want 1gb of ram, you're forced to void your warranty on the 701 model.

Addyman: That is interesting news, although I have found a lot of conflicting information about 8gb and even supposed 16gb model availability - to the effect that some retail companies are promoting such models whilst Asus and some retail companies say there are no plans for them!?
    However, I hasten to point out that this *was* early in the launch phase, when even the existence of the 1gb ddr model was sceptical.
    Overall, the roll-out "roadmap" does seem rather patchy, for such a large company.

I wonder if they move to a 10" screen whether the resolution will be a little better - maybe 800x600 at least...
    But then, if upgrading the graphics, ssd and screen size, what price range will that place it in?

I would be very interested in finding out something more firm about this....

Digitalfreeze: are you talking about US availability, or general worldwide?

Purehate: Are you still having trouble finding a US supplier with stock?

Wink

Ah Re@lity, well my black 4GB with 1GB ram is on the courier as i type this and due for delivery tomorrow morning...came from the address i gave earlier....will be interesting to see what arrives.....1GB ram is possible as of now as mine is coming from an ASUS shop.

As for the big screen, i guess the price will have to go up, i really cannot see that being as good value as the current 4GB...and what will happen to battery life?

If you just use terminal i guess 7inch is perfect....also multiple desktops can be enabled anyway...

Read the arstechnica (dot) com review today.....they seem to rate it for what it is including the shortcoming of the small screen....love their font size workaround...very simple.

Yes, from accounts it will be 800 x580 depending on who you read...think I read some more on engadget.

Counting down....not sure why i am quite this happy to have it coming...

Yes, I know they *are* shipping 1gb ddr variants already.
    I was comparing the apparent scepticism of some sites/companies of 8gb & 16gb SDD variants becoming available to the fact that in the early days of launch even 1gb ddr was being treated just as sceptically.

Re@lity...My misunderstanding....apols etc...so yes i agree, tis the same for them now as it was then...

Developer

Thats my problem re@lity I cant find a us supplier with a 4g/1g of ram. the all seem to be 512. I really want one but unless its got at least a gig of ram I cant see it being super useful. I'm also looking into the pico chip. Prarie fire turned me on to it so I'm trying to get one of those too.

Well Minibook arrived and it is very very small...my typing has to adapt, though the book is fully featured and running all standard vanilla linux progs for everyday use. It is very easy to alter from the original so customising to gain more screen real estate.

I havent used it for everyday use..ie typing this, I find it very useful to take to jobs where i need it to test networks from Bash....it is very light and can fit in my coat pocket with the neoprene case it comes with.

I am off to the post office tomorrow morning to get my new 8GB SDHC so as to install BT on that....

Will post more when done that.....and post pics of screen desptop when i hit 15 posts....

Waiting in suspense!!

Haha, well several days in report....machine is totally great for the price...though thats not the money question....

Installed 8GB SD card with BT on. The four partition method a la one of the tutorials here.

Machine boots perfectly and fast, though neither the ethernet or wireless works out of the box.

Both are apparently possible, the wireless with the ndiswrapper, though you have to use an older version. I am still going through each version, going down the list from newest on ndiswrapper..

Various problems, especially the SD card going read only after a while foxed me for a bit and forced a total reinstall....not working with qtparted.......very intermittant, though that may be the card.....only working with gparted...

The ndiswrapper works in Ubuntu and Slackware, though only the newer versions of those systems, I still cannot get it to compile properly and install with the drivers yet, though I just had a brainwave to try tomorrow...its looking for a newer version of the kernel

The ethernet driver I do have for linux, though its looking for the

'/lib/modules/2.6.21.5-smp/kernel/drivers/net'

directory ....i am assuming i have to change a file somewhere to give the correct BT PWN kernel path...i will do a search in the files tomorrow...brain hurting at the moment

That is on the list to do.. ..

Once these small issues are solved it will be a very powerful tool to take out and about for work....it is very portable being small and so light....and promises to be fun.

One thing that did occur to me.....I will get it all working and BT3 will be out....all good experience...

ON the eeeuser.com forums someone has it working perfectly with Slackware 12, so I am pretty sure I am close to solving these networking issues.

And yes, I do have a USB wifi card, though I am not installing that until i get the other two internal ones working first....

I am hoping the Atansic Atheros drivers will be in BT3.....if anyone wants them just in case i have a shiney new folder with them in....

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast