Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: eee-pc... 2nd GEN ANOUNCED !!!!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Nice one!
    Looks like an excellent piece of kit for the price, eh!?
    I agree and the "cool" factor will be worth even more. seriously though I'm really interested in the capabilities. This would be a good time to have a striped down command line only version of BT (no kde and no flux). I have the feeling though I'd runn bt from a usb though and keep the native OS.

Yup, its the price that gets me too...I was just about to purchase an ex-rental IBM X60.....Buy an eeepc and save £500....

I am condidering running BT off an SD card, 8GB ones are cheap cheap now, it will also be flush fit and not protude from the side of the machine like a usb drive....wonder if the performance will take a hit.....shouldnt think so...

Just burned his ISO

I have the 701 model and so far it's a nice little machine. My biggest gripe is the 800x480 resolution. Keyboard needs a little getting used to. Warranty sticker is covering a screwhole to upgrade the ram, so you either heat-gun it, or void your warranty. I upgraded my ram to 1gb and don't use swap. Not having an optical drive really isn't a big deal, you can always use an external optical drive if needed. I used shamanvirtuel's usb installer (respect) and it worked flawlessly. Keep in mind this isn't a powerhouse machine, but it's power + portability is definately worth the $400CAN I paid for it.

I run BT2 from the usb stick, but can only get the wifi working using ndiswrapper. It uses atheros AR5007EG. Madwifi people are working on it afaik.

Gonna try the solution posted here.
    hxxp://madwifi.org/ticket/1192#comment:95

Just burned his ISO

Cool thing is the card reader, if that machine can boot from it you could install BT to an 4Gig SDHC and use it from there, this babies are really cheap today.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by darkside40 View Post
    Cool thing is the card reader, if that machine can boot from it you could install BT to an 4Gig SDHC and use it from there, this babies are really cheap today.
    you can definately boot from the sd card. You can either set boot device priority in the bios, or press ESC on boot to load boot device menu.

Developer

Thats my plan to create a bt distro of my liking on a 8g sd card with 1 or 2 gigs for changes and information

Developer

Well that UK company sent my request back because I wasnt in the UK. I dont really understand WTF that has to do with any thing but OH well. I've been searching for somewhere else to get one of these but I cant seem to find it. I also saw the flagship model has a 8 gig drive so I'd like one of those. Ill keep searching but if any one can help please put up a link

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    Well that UK company sent my request back because I wasnt in the UK. I dont really understand WTF that has to do with any thing but OH well. I've been searching for somewhere else to get one of these but I cant seem to find it. I also saw the flagship model has a 8 gig drive so I'd like one of those. Ill keep searching but if any one can help please put up a link
    There's a thread in the eee-pc forums for "where to buy" - I haven't looked at it thoroughly, but it may be of some help?

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=11

I cannot post links yet, though try where i bought mine....

w w w (dot) asuslaptops (dot) co (dot) uk

All the ones on eBay are Chinese keyboards and similar.....

Alternativly i could get one for you if you really would like one......though the Voltage difference may be an issue...not sure if it is one of those intelligent transformers that do 110v and 240v....(We 240v in the UK)

A

Developer

That is where I tried addyman. I filled out the order form but there was only one country selection for the United Kingdom. i sent it in any way and the returned it saying if I was not in the UK I could not order. I think this is very odd so I'm going to call them today. I forgot about the ac issue though. thanks for reminding me. My mom is dutch and goes to holland all the time so I assume she may have some converters.

Thanks too re@lity I'll check that out.

EDIT: Re@lity I checked every one of those links and it seems only the 512 ram is available. I cannont find a 1024 like in the assus link from the UK. Also I'm really looking for the 8G flagship model w/1024 ram. I know I don't want much.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast