Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Errors on boot with live USB

Just burned his ISO

Post Errors on boot with live USB

Hey there,
    Just downloaded ISO for BT5 R2 and installed it on a 8gb USB stick using Universal USB Linux Installer.

The first time I tried to boot, it loaded through several screens, the stopped on a boot screen with a command line that said: root@bt: #
    I didn't know what to do, so I killed the computer and booted Windows back up to figure it out. I apparently missed the FAQ saying I should type 'startx'.

This time, the boot sequence happened the same way as last time. However, instead of stopping and asking for input, it got stuck in a repeating error as shown below:

[ ###.######] EXT2 -fs (loop1): ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 176471

(The pound signs are different numbers, ascending. I think that they are times.)

I was never able to get beyond the loading screen (My fault the first time, but I think I'm in a real problem now.)

Any help I can get would be great. Thanks.

Default Re: Errors on boot with live USB

Have you tried formating the USB drive and try again?
    If it happens again, you can try a differnt USB drive or differnt bootloader program ;-)

Just burned his ISO

Yes, I reformatted the drive and re-installed BT, booted it, and remembered the startx command. It booted fine. However, when I rebooted to test my persistent file, it failed to boot. I got the same error, except with a different final number.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Reformat and reinstall BT5..

Just burned his ISO

Again? I was really hoping that I wound't have to format after every time I use it.

Have you checked the MD5 checksum?

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: Errors on boot with live USB

I am having the same problem trying to set up a persistent USB install of backtrack 5r2.
    I have tried both KDE and Gnome 64 bit versions on two different USB keys, with the same result.
    I have tried to use Unetbootin and Lili to make the live keys, using different systems.
    In order to give more details, I was able to install BT5r2 from this same key, and that install works like a champ.

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, the md5sum checked out fine. I was going to try a different usb installer, like UNetbootin, because the other drive I created with this one didn't work out that well either.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by erdubya View Post
    Yeah, the md5sum checked out fine. I was going to try a different usb installer, like UNetbootin, because the other drive I created with this one didn't work out that well either.
    From what I've found, if you are using a persistent USB install, you will run into problems (like this error) if one of a few things happens:

1. The machine is not shut down properly (for example, if you simply turn the power off)

2. If you remove the USB drive at any time while the system is running

3. If you remove the USB drive after running the shut down command, but before it prompts you to remove the media (see #2).

This may not be such an issue on other distros (though it's never recommended), but in my experience, has been an issue with this one. I've had that exact same error in the past as well as one with X. I don't currently have a workaround, other than avoiding the three things I mentioned above, (and if you get that error, remaking the boot image), but I'm sure one does exist. It's simply a matter of fixing the corrupted or missing files.

Just burned his ISO

I used UNetbootin to create the live usb this time, and it has successfully booted up several times now. The persistent file also works. I'm guessing that the error was just a malfunction of the original installer that I used. I could have been me just being impatient, too, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast