Thread: How do I disable internal Wireless card in BT5?

Just burned their ISO

Question How do I disable internal Wireless card in BT5?

Hello,

I am learning about Backtrack (and also getting some lessons in Linux as well) and had a quick question. I've got a wireless adapter hooked up to my laptop but I haven't been able to find a way to disable the internal wireless card. I've got the laptop set up to dual boot with BT5 and Windows, so it would be perfect if I could disable the internal wireless card in BT5 and leave it up and running in Windows 7, but if that's not possible, just disabling it for both OS's would be OK too.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Default Re: How do I disable internal Wireless card in BT5?

ifconfig <interface> down
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned their ISO

I've tried running ifconfig wlan0 down but when I run iwconfig I still see wlan0 (my internal wifi card) and wlan1 (my external wifi adapter). It's not the end of the world if I need to use wlan1, but I'm just trying to follow this beginner's book as closely as I can.

Just burned their ISO

To be a bit more specific, the issue I'm running into is that when I run airmon-ng start wlan1 (the wireless adapter) I get the following message:

Found 2 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng, or airtun-ng stops working after a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!

PID Name
    1436 dhclient3
    1523 dhclient3
    Process with PID 1436 (dhclient3) is running on interface wlan0

So I figured I had to turn off wlan0 (the internal wireless card) in order to get past this error message.

You might be able to disable the internal via the BIOS if you truly don't want to see it at all also some laptops have a physical switch to enable/disable it.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
    I've tried running ifconfig wlan0 down but when I run iwconfig I still see wlan0 (my internal wifi card) and wlan1 (my external wifi adapter). It's not the end of the world if I need to use wlan1, but I'm just trying to follow this beginner's book as closely as I can.
    You can use wlan1 without disabling wlan0, I do no see any reason why not, even using the same chipset, they have their own alias (wlan1, wlan0, eth1, etc) and you make reference to each one using it...I do not see the problem...

Now, if using Network Manager, you can use the keyfile plugin in NetworkManager.conf and add the option: unmanaged-devices with the format: unmanaged-devices=mac:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx You can see here what I'm talking about..If you have more than one interface to be ignored, just use ";" and add another "mac:xx:xx..bla bla.."..

Have you ever alter the NetworkManager?....If not, read before doing it, you can get in some issues, I talk by experience...Read about Network Manager.

If using wicd, see if there is a networkmanager configuration file...

Luck.