Thread: Hiya, thank you's and a simple(?) question.

Just burned his ISO

Question Hiya, thank you's and a simple(?) question.

Hey all!
    Long time reader, newbie poster
    Let me just start by saying thanks to everyone who makes BT possible, I've learned a lot while using it!
    I'd also like to thank the tutorial creators, guide makers and those that posted here in the forums so that I and those that posted the question first got answers.
    To mention a few: -=Xploitz=- , Balding parrot, shamanvirtuel, purehate and many more!
    It might seem like sucking up but many here made the learning a lot easier.

Now I've got BT2 installed, updated and working like a charm and I want to put it to further use.
    I live in an area where it would seem that I'm not the only one who knows about BT and I've got a log that clearly shows that they are trying to get in.
    I've decided to try using bt as a security measure and as such I have a very simple question that I don't find an answer too.

I don't have wifi on all my computers and I've been routing from wlan to lan using m$ 2k3srv but I want to do this with bt instead.
    Can anyone give me a clue as to how I should go forward when I want to route (bridge) wireless traffic into the wired network?

Your 2k3 Srvr is dual homed? (ie: Has a wireless and wired NIC) Is it your DHCP server? It's "internal" interface (NIC) is the default Gateway for all your other machines? Are you using any special software? (Firewall, routing software, etc...) Or does it just have a static route from itself to your cable modem or whatever?

Edit: On second thought this doesn't make any sense if the wireless network is on the inside and the wired network (and your ISP etc) are on the outside where's your AP sitting in relation to this 2k3 server that is routing all your traffic?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Your 2k3 Srvr is dual homed? (ie: Has a wireless and wired NIC) Is it your DHCP server?
    I've been using it as a lab towards my certs so the actuall setup has changed over time, the 2k3 srv is atm installed on the same machine as bt2 which is why I want to make the switched.

The machine has two cards atm, one 3com wifi card and an intel wired nic.
    It is, but does not have to be, the current DHCP - The router can take this task if needed. (as is the case with most wifi routers)

I still don't see how this is setup.

ISP <-> Cable Modem (er whatever) <-> 2K3 Srvr <-> Wireless AP <-> Other Systems/Wireless Clients

?

Except that you said not all comps are wireless so are they also sitting off your Wireless AP? (Assuming it has some wired interfaces as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Hill View Post
    Hey all!
    I'd also like to thank the tutorial creators, guide makers and those that posted here in the forums so that I and those that posted the question first got answers.
    To mention a few: -=Xploitz=- , Balding parrot, shamanvirtuel, purehate and many more!
    It might seem like sucking up but many here made the learning a lot easier.

No..I don't think your sucking up..lol...But thank you for taking the time to thank us. WE DO APPRECIATE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Hill View Post
    Can anyone give me a clue as to how I should go forward when I want to route (bridge) wireless traffic into the wired network?

Have you considered hooking up 2 routers to bridge the wireless connections and wired connections together??

Sorry..but I'm a freshman in College ATM with only 2 months of Networking under my belt. I'm sure the Network Admins on this forum have much more wisdom to guide you better than I have. ..But I'm trying!!
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

Your 2k3 Srvr is dual homed? (ie: Has a wireless and wired NIC) Is it your DHCP server? It's "internal" interface (NIC) is the default Gateway for all your other machines? Are you using any special software? (Firewall, routing software, etc...) Or does it just have a static route from itself to your cable modem or whatever???

I've been using it as a lab towards my certs so the actuall setup has changed over time, the 2k3 srv is atm installed on the same machine as bt2 which is why I want to make the switched.

The machine has two cards atm, one 3com wifi card and an intel wired nic.
    It is, but does not have to be, the current DHCP - The router can take this task if needed. (as is the case with most wifi routers)
    The server is using RRAS' routing feature (a very bad solution) to bridge the wireless and wired networks.

Edit: On second thought this doesn't make any sense if the wireless network is on the inside and the wired network (and your ISP etc) are on the outside where's your AP sitting in relation to this 2k3 server that is routing all your traffic??
    I know that it doesn't make much sense, if I had the option I would just use wired into the WAN and it would solve all my problems...I'm in other words VERY aware that I'm making things hard on myself.
    The wifi router is in the appartment above me, me and my neighbour get a LOT more for our money by sharing the access but the landlord refuses all attempts at getting a wire from my neighbour to me and therefore I've decided to use this solution.

So it's

|ISP Router\modem| --wired-- | Sitecom WIFI router| --wifi--| My 2k3 srv with RRAS | --wired-- | Router | - Pc1

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    No..I don't think your sucking up..lol...But thank you for taking the time to thank us. WE DO APPRECIATE IT!
    I thought you all deserved it, many of the guides and certainly the scripts\apps (like update by shaman) have been life savers.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    Have you considered hooking up 2 routers to bridge the wireless connections and wired connections together??

Sorry..but I'm a freshman in College ATM with only 2 months of Networking under my belt. I'm sure the Network Admins on this forum have much more wisdom to guide you better than I have. ..But I'm trying!!
    Yeah, that's the thing that makes this "fubar" one wire from my neighbour and into my appartment would solve this... however to do that I need the landlord's OK and he doesn't like the idea =(
    All the things I've learned about networking while taking my certs are telling me that I'm an idiot and that I'm making things a lot harder then it needs to be but unf. I have no choice in the matter.