Thread: A few newbie questions.......

nineinches4u

Exclamation A few newbie questions.......

Hi, im new to linux, backtrack, vmware and almost anything related with wep cracking, but i┤ve been reading a lot around the web, and i have these questions, if i have a usb wireless network adapter netgear wg111v2 on a HP pavilion with a motherboard asus, do i have to install backtrack to the pc┤s hard disk, or i could make the wep crack from the bt2 filnal image on the vmware machine?,

nineinches4u

Default another question

another question, what does it means"Move /lib/modules/k#/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mac80211/rtl818x/rtl8187.ko to a safe place" in the aircrack-ng.org tutorial? where exactly could that safe place be?, another question, how can i unzip the drivers and the patch if dont have them in backtrack? i downloaded and extracted them on windows, but i guess backtrack wont look for them there( on windows) how can i copy them from windows to backtrack? finally, could somebody explain the sintaxys of all those commands in the aircrack-ng.org tutorial? im talking about the rtl8187 patches.....

nineinches4u

://202.65.194.18/cn/wlan/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.zip
    ://220.228.150.22/cn/wlan/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.zip
    ://61.56.86.122/cn/wlan/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.zip

unzip rtl8187_linux_26.1010.zip
    cd rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/
    ://patches.aircrack-ng.org/rtl8187_2.6.22.patch
    tar xzf drv.tar.gz
    tar xzf stack.tar.gz
    patch -Np1 -i rtl8187_2.6.22.patch
    make
    make install

you might want to start by reading this
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/howto/s...ckbook-2.0.pdf

it seems like you need to learn linux first, then some networking basics, and then come back here

nineinches4u

Primey, thanks for ur reply, but u r asking me to read 284 pages, its almost as if u were telling me to surf the web, ( or maybe u dont want to help/share something u could just explain easier ) i come from a spanish forum, because they dont want to help either, i swear that i┤ve been trying to solve this by myself, but i too think that this is a support forum, no a redirectioning forum, all u r doing for me is giving me a link, not supporting me......

Quote Originally Posted by nineinches4u View Post
    Primey, thanks for ur reply, but u r asking me to read 284 pages, its almost as if u were telling me to surf the web, ( or maybe u dont want to help/share something u could just explain easier ) i come from a spanish forum, because they dont want to help either, i swear that i┤ve been trying to solve this by myself, but i too think that this is a support forum, no a redirectioning forum, all u r doing for me is giving me a link, not supporting me......
    This IS a support forum, it is NOT however a forum where you can expect to be spoonfed the answers.

I suggest you read the documentation you were directed to, so as you at least know some of the basics of linux before proceeding any further.