Thread: Backtrack based on an old Ubuntu version

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Backtrack based on an old Ubuntu version

According to Wikipedia, even Backtrack 5 R3, the lastest version which was released on 8/2012 based on an old version of Ubuntu (10.04 Lucid) that won't be supported from April 2013. May be I'm a newbie, but I still wonder why a new version of Backtrack still based on an old Ubuntu version that was released more than two years ago.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Backtrack based on an old Ubuntu version

Probably because they're concentrating on the tools and not the operating system. The O/S isn't hugely important as long as it is capable of running the tools (and is capable of being secured from an attack), and personally, I would prefer them to get the toolset right and correctly installed/integrated into the distro than to always chase the latest Linux release.

Having said that, I would hazard a guess that they're basing their O/S releases on the LTS versions of Ubuntu, and will probably be working on a 12.04 base for the next version.

pakchan's answer is probably correct.

For Ubuntu LTS versions are always <even #>.04 (so 8.04, 10.04, 12.04).

10.04 was the most recent Long Term Support (LTS) version when BT5 rolled out. 12.04 just came our in summer 2012. BT5r3 came out in Aug 2012, 12.04 was released in April but that makes pretty short timelines. Esp. considering that 12.04 uses a completely different default GUI (Unity).

My guess is that BT6 will be Ubuntu 12.04 based....though it's purely a guess.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned their ISO

So what's everyone think of the link posted above? Kali to replace BT - excited?