Thread: BT5R3 Live DVD nor USB boots

Just burned their ISO

Default BT5R3 Live DVD nor USB boots

Ill start with my specs: Intel core i7 3770, Nvidia Geforce GTX 570, WD 320 GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. So i have downloaded BT5R3 KDE and GNOME 4 different times and verified with md5sum. The Live DVD's that i burned, i just used the Windows disc burner and burned the ISO i downloaded from the BackTrack website. I set the BIOS to boot from the ATAPI DVD drive, and all i get is a black screen with a blinking underscore. It doesn't even get to the BT boot menu. The same thing happens with the USB drive. I used NETBootin to put the BT5R3 KDE and GNOME ISO onto the USB drive, and the same thing happens when i choose to boot from the USB drive, black screen with blinking underscore, like its waiting for something. Just to make this clear, I have successfully booted BT5R1 to the same system with live DVD and installed it along with Windows 7. So there is nothing wrong with the system booting from DVD and installing BackTrack 5 R1, why will it not boot BT5R3? I used the same method with both DVD's. Is there something new with R3 that I don't know about? I have been googling and searching for days about this issue and gone through 2 packs of DVD's. Please somebody help me with this issue, i would greatly appreciate it. If anybody needs anymore info let me know.

Question: Why when booting from USB and Live DVD do i get a black screen with blinking underscore, before it even shows me the BT boot menu. When i choose to boot from either DVD/USB it boots straight into the blinking underscore black screen. Whoever can help me will be my hero.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: BT5R3 Live DVD nor USB boots

How far does it get when booting?..It must show some info before getting to menu, see any error or warning?...Please post any piece of info that might give us a guide to help you...It might be a video issue, but need more info.

Luck.

Just burned their ISO

I see nothing, no errors or warnings. When i choose in my BIOS to either boot from USB or DVD and click F10 to save changes and exit. It starts to reboot like normal, then where it gets to the point when its supposed to boot into BackTrack and show the boot menu, it doesn't, it just sits with a blinking underscore. No warnings, no errors, it just boots straight into the blinking underscore screen. The only thing before that is the regular boot process which goes fine, but when it gets time to read the BackTrack bootloader, its like nothing is there. It sits and blinks an underscore. Now....I have tried BT5R2 also just now, and the same thing happens when booting from USB. Ive reformatted this USB 15 times and tried 15 times to get Backtrack 5 on it using UNetbootin, none have worked. The only thing that works is my old BT5R1 DVD, which boots fine and i actually have it installed along windows 7 pro 64-bit. Seems like BT5R1 is the only distro that works for me ATM. But...like i said....no errors no warnings, after Boot screen and options to choose BIOS or F8 etc...goes straight to a black screen with blinking cursor......which is where it sits. This is RIGHT before its supposed to start loading casper and whatever else with all the ............................................... Because thats what happens when i loaded BT5R1...it showed me the blinking cursor like i get now, but eventually goes into loading Backtrack. As for BT5R3 it never gets passed the blinking cursor. If you need any screenshots, or anything else for you guys to help me i will get it to you....i am about to pull my hair out at why none of this is working, and getting same result no matter what.

Yes, please post some pics to take a look at them...

I'll appreciate it very much.

Although I might seem to be a hardware problem, but to discard thet problem, I would strongly suggest to download a Linux Distro Live DVD (DEbian, Ubuntu, LMDE) and see if it boots..

Also try recording downloaded ISO in a much lower speed..

If It doesn't, we might be looking at a faulty hardware..But we need to make sure that only BT5 does not boot up.
    Last edited by maverik35; 01-16-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Default re:found ya answer

hey download it as torrent 32 bit ghome vmware and run through vmplayer and bang it works

Quote Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
    Ill start with my specs: Intel core i7 3770, Nvidia Geforce GTX 570, WD 320 GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. So i have downloaded BT5R3 KDE and GNOME 4 different times and verified with md5sum. The Live DVD's that i burned, i just used the Windows disc burner and burned the ISO i downloaded from the BackTrack website. I set the BIOS to boot from the ATAPI DVD drive, and all i get is a black screen with a blinking underscore. It doesn't even get to the BT boot menu. The same thing happens with the USB drive. I used NETBootin to put the BT5R3 KDE and GNOME ISO onto the USB drive, and the same thing happens when i choose to boot from the USB drive, black screen with blinking underscore, like its waiting for something. Just to make this clear, I have successfully booted BT5R1 to the same system with live DVD and installed it along with Windows 7. So there is nothing wrong with the system booting from DVD and installing BackTrack 5 R1, why will it not boot BT5R3? I used the same method with both DVD's. Is there something new with R3 that I don't know about? I have been googling and searching for days about this issue and gone through 2 packs of DVD's. Please somebody help me with this issue, i would greatly appreciate it. If anybody needs anymore info let me know.

Question: Why when booting from USB and Live DVD do i get a black screen with blinking underscore, before it even shows me the BT boot menu. When i choose to boot from either DVD/USB it boots straight into the blinking underscore black screen. Whoever can help me will be my hero.

Default Re: found ya answer

Quote Originally Posted by skdid2hacker View Post
    hey download it as torrent 32 bit ghome vmware and run through vmplayer and bang it works
    I belive the man said he wanted to install it along with windows 7....I'm sure he kept in mind the USB option, discarded due to the wish to make a HDD install.

One more thing: VM install will never, ever be the same as HDD install. I guess that is why he wants HDD install.

Just burned their ISO

Hi..i am new too bactrack..downloaded BT5R3, using netbootin..have mounted the iso in my 16GB pendrive...i am ble to succeffully run the BT by selecting boot option from BIOS...i am sorry for my query would be stupid...please, i am new to this, i was able to connect from wifi..now after "apt-get update"..when i do "apt-get upgrade" it does goes till 100% , but then when its unpackig after that..it shows not enough space and wants me to remove files...when the dialog box opens up..it does shows 25 GB available..i dont get it, plz help me..what should i do..? where does the upgrade files get stored.

Thanxx

Just burned their ISO

Yes. I want it installed along with Windows 7 Pro. I already have BT5R3 working in Virtualbox, using the SAME ISO ive been using for all the failed attempts at burning to DVD and USB. @Maverick35....Im sorry i can't get a pic of the screen where it gets stuck, if you can picture an all black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner....thats it, literally. Not much to it. Also, as i already stated, ive successfully booted from, and installed BT5R1 yesterday along with Windows 7 Pro using a live DVD i burned on the same computer some time back. I burned the DVD's at the lowest speed the Windows Burner offered also. Wondering if i should try a different USB drive, and try Power ISO or something, i dunno. Again, when the BT5R1 live DVD boots up, my system goes to the same blinking cursor screen for about 5 seconds before going into the BackTrack boot menu. So, it seems as if its getting stuck at that point, for some reason. That is what im trying to figure out. Im sorry if im doing a horrible job at explaining things, please let me so if this is the case. Also, i have enabled legacy USB support....

Just burned their ISO

I just wanted to make this clear, it was bugging me last night. When I say "blinking cursor" this is what I mean. When you run a command in the cmd prompt, and its sitting there waiting for it to finish...the blinking underscore, or blinking minus sign, that is blinking on the next line down....THAT is all that shows on a black page. I didn't want anybody thinking i was talking about "cursor" in a different way.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: found ya answer

I figured out what the problem was. When going into my BIOS and looking at the USB Mass Storage Settings, the Emulation was set to Auto. When changing it to HDD, the USB booted right up, unetbootin startup right up, and BT5R3 started right up like normal. Just needed to change the USB Emulation to boot as HDD.