Thread: WICD Bad Password with AWUS036H

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Question WICD Bad Password with AWUS036H

I'm having problems with WICD returning the common "Bad Password" error while attempting to connect to an AP. I am absolutely desperate for this problem to be fixed and I would love for any input on this as I'm not very experienced with Linux.

Here is some background information:
    -Running BT5R3 as a VirtualBox guest with Windows 7 Pro as the host OS.
    -There are no problems detecting the adapter in BT and airodump and airmon work flawlessly.
    -I've tried connecting to 3 different AP's. 1 with no security, 1 with WEP, and 1 with WPA2. None work. None have a hidden SSID
    -This adapter works fine to connect to an AP in the host OS.
    -Basic things such as host driver installation and VirtualBox configuration have been complete.
    -All drivers are current as far as I know. Used the CD that came with the Alfa card to install the host driver and was told that the card works out of the box by a friend who has the same card. Not too sure about his configuration.

Here is what I've tried so far:
    -Removing Network Manager. It wasn't installed. I had installed it and then removed/purged it.
    -Tried every wpa_supplicant driver in WICD
    -Downgrading WICD.
    -Upgrading WICD. Was unable to do this as it required a newer version of Python than BT5R3 uses.
    -Upgraded Python however was unable to get this to work and was told that it was bad to use a version of Python that the distro doesn't use. Reverted this.
    -Reinstalled BT from scratch on a new VM
    -I've tried using wpa_supplicant to manually connect, however I'm not too familiar with this process. I do notice that wpa_supplicant starts and works by having wpa_gui open while trying to connect in WICD
    -I've updated everything in BT with apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade

I'm forgetting a few things that I know I've tried. Basically I've tried everything I can find in any search/forum post and I'm so frustrated by this. I hear it's a common error and that most have fixed it with the removal of network manager. I wish it was only this easy for myself.

I hope this post is adequate for someone to be able to assist and I will provide any other information that could be used to fix this. Much thanks!

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: WICD Bad Password with AWUS036H

After trying to figure this out for two months, I've made some progress. I switched from VirtualBox to VMWare Workstation 9 and it started working perfectly. That is until about 2 hours in. Back to the same problem. I also notice now that in the bottom status bar of WICD it will say the wrong SSID. It will show the SSID of the previous network I've connected to rather than the one I'm trying to connect to now.

For example: "Network1: Putting interface up..." while I'm actually trying to connect to Network2 not Network1.

It always seems to give the "Connection Failed: Bad Password" error when it attempts to "Generate WPA configuration file..." This is also odd because it happens even when trying to connect to a WEP secured network.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: WICD Bad Password with AWUS036H

Quote Originally Posted by bwick29 View Post
    After trying to figure this out for two months, I've made some progress. I switched from VirtualBox to VMWare Workstation 9 and it started working perfectly. That is until about 2 hours in. Back to the same problem. I also notice now that in the bottom status bar of WICD it will say the wrong SSID. It will show the SSID of the previous network I've connected to rather than the one I'm trying to connect to now.

For example: "Network1: Putting interface up..." while I'm actually trying to connect to Network2 not Network1.

It always seems to give the "Connection Failed: Bad Password" error when it attempts to "Generate WPA configuration file..." This is also odd because it happens even when trying to connect to a WEP secured network.
    What type of alfa card do you have (Model)?

Why don't you try using ISO in virtualbox as live dvd instead of installing it?..Try it..