Thread: Just to say thanks

Default Just to say thanks

Hello all,

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all the moderators, users, experts, noobs etc that use this forum.

I've spent the last three weeks trying to get BackTrack2 and Aircrack going. Last night after a long slog I was successsful in my attempts.

By far my biggest 'problem' was the card i was using. It is IMPERITIVE that you go for the suggested pcmcia cards.

For all you noobs like me out there...don;t try and second guess the experts. Do what they say and it will work. I bought [by mistake coz i didn't read the forums] a VERSION 2 of the Netgear WG511T and it DID NOT WORK. Exchanging it for the VERSION 1 of the card is brilliant...plug and play, injects packets a treat.

SO thanks...i am now trawling through the forums find all sorts of lovely bits of info to try out.

One question i have though...with winblows i am used to being able to update my programs...uninstalling the old one...downloading the new one, and installing that one.

How do i perform software updates on BackTrack 2?

is it something like apt-get linux build essentials? or what?

Thanks for any advice.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

it really depends on what type of install you got :

LIVE CD
    LIVE USB + SAVE CHANGES (the best)
    HD REAL INSTALL

in the first case you need to do mods on the iso and reburn it

in second case best thing is to add modules in bt/modules

in third you just install new versions from sources......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

If you have a HD installation you can also use slapt-get --install <module name>
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Default I will try it

I will try that slapt-get idea....hopefully it will work.

Another update related question. With winblows...iuts fairly simple to tell if you've got a new program. Looking at is visually, functionally etc. you will be able to tell.

But on backtrack...there is no real indication as to what program you are using? How would i tell if aircrack had been updates.

p.s. If anyone has a good reference site/tutorial on how to dual boot windows XP and back track <i> after haing installed back track first <i> that'd be great.

All the tuts i have seen so far assume that you have windows installed first...that isn't the case with me. I HD Installed backtrack, and <b>now</b> want to install winblows.

Thanks

JW

But note:
    First use: slapt-get --update
    The --update option updates the list of available packages that slapt-get stores locally. This should be done before upgrading already installed software, and also before installing new software.

The --upgrade option upgrades all installed packages to the latest version if the latest version available is not already installed.

Greetz,
    hawaii
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

aircrack-ng version

aircrack-ng | grep "Thomas"

usually this infos are in the help function of the tools

sorry for you .....

you will need to reinstall if you want a real winblows install (or install it in wmware under bt)

YOU DO NEED TO HAVE WINDOWS SET UP ON THE FIRST PARTITION OF YOUR DISK ..........
    follow this video
    http://www.offensive-security.com/mo.../dualboot.html

BackTrack :

Most command line tools will have a switch something like "-v " or "-V" to show the version, which can be appended to the toolname at the command line.
    But as SV suggested, always first do "toolname --help" to see what options are available. (where "toolname" is the programs name, of course!)

If there is no specific switch (-v etc) shown in --help, then there is invariably a version number shown in the "title" line of the --help output.

Regarding slapt-get, be careful with the "--upgrade" or "--dist-upgrade" switch. Best avoided as it can/will break your BT install, due to various customisations.

I would suggest that you use slapt-get mainly for installing new programs only, rather than using the system update ability.

Default thanks shamanvirtuel

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    aircrack-ng version

aircrack-ng | grep "Thomas"

usually this infos are in the help function of the tools

sorry for you .....

you will need to reinstall if you want a real winblows install (or install it in wmware under bt)

YOU DO NEED TO HAVE WINDOWS SET UP ON THE FIRST PARTITION OF YOUR DISK ..........
    follow this video
    Hello shamanvirtuel, thanks for posting this video...I formatted my HD installed winblows, then followed this video. And it works! Thanks for showing me this video.

another 'customer' satisfied ..............

if you are happy to use BT, please donate even 1$ if ur not rich, the crew have stated they got only 150 $ from the last reliz ............and numerous thousands of downloads........so if you can afford, will be a good thing to do because they do need money NOW, as THEY ARE DEVELOPING BT3 !!!

donations : http://www.remote-exploit.org/donations.html

THX

BackTrack :

Wink I've made my donation!

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    another 'customer' satisfied ..............

if you are happy to use BT, please donate even 1$ if ur not rich, the crew have stated they got only 150 $ from the last reliz ............and numerous thousands of downloads........so if you can afford, will be a good thing to do because they do need money NOW, as THEY ARE DEVELOPING BT3 !!!

donations :

THX
    I appreciate the work that goes in...so I have donated. Hay shamanvirtuel! have you been going through my rubbish? How'd you know I'm not rich!

Can't wait for Backtrack 3.