Thread: virtual wifi

Hybrid View

Default virtual wifi

This was kinda for the Wireless forum, but also kinda slightly off-topic in a non-BT sorta way, but.........

Has anyone seen, or know of, any *nix based projects along the lines of MS's Virtual Wifi research?
    I've been following their research loosely for some years now and I can't believe there's still no comparable *nix based "public" research along these lines!?
    Maybe some poc tools already exist? Anyone?

Any ideas?

(Shamanvirtuel - if you read this post, go devote lots of time to the above concept! )

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Here's a reference for those that aren't up on the topic, like me.

http://research.microsoft.com/netres...s/virtualwifi/
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    (Shamanvirtuel - if you read this post, go devote lots of time to the above concept! )
    So there was a motive behind the promotion then...... HUH... I see ....

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Here's a reference for those that aren't up on the topic, like me.

http://research.microsoft.com/netres...s/virtualwifi/

It has always seemed to me to have all kinds of possible implementations, don't you agree? But it doesn't seem to have ever been taken up by any oss projects?

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    So there was a motive behind the promotion then...... HUH... I see ....
    Well, yeah, you sussed me

This was kinda for the Wireless forum, but also kinda slightly off-topic in a non-BT sorta way, but.........

Has anyone seen, or know of, any *nix based projects along the lines of MS's Virtual Wifi research?
    I've been following their research loosely for some years now and I can't believe there's still no comparable *nix based "public" research along these lines!?
    Maybe some poc tools already exist? Anyone?

Any ideas?

Kinda like a multi-homed wireless nic. I am sure it is possible in *nix, you would probably need to patch the cards drivers and re-code portions of the *nix wireless extensions in order to pull it off...

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

well lol......

really interesting....

i need more time to jump into that more deeply.........
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by elazar View Post
    Kinda like a multi-homed wireless nic. I am sure it is possible in *nix, you would probably need to patch the cards drivers and re-code portions of the *nix wireless extensions in order to pull it off...
    Well, the simple attempt would be to have the packets queued then switch between the channels, dissipating the queue as we go. But apparently, according to ms, this would take too much time for it to be a really workable solution. So, how is MS attempting this?

Some time ago there was a firmware for Prism based cards, called neesus, aimed directly at "virtual wifi" technology. I suppose it was never publicly released, or gpl'd?

Atheros has also done some work in this area. I read a while ago that madwifi would be implementing some of this. I've never seen anything tangible, as yet.
    There was a thread a couple of years ago on the schmoo list with Jean Tourrilhes (wireless-tools) amongst others, talking about this, but the trail seems to have gone cold recently.

I just find it odd that no-one's jumped on the bandwagon with this yet!?

I just find it odd that no-one's jumped on the bandwagon with this yet!?
    True. Mesh capability would be of great benefit to universities and some large companies that have large offices...

I loaded this up last night on my XP notebook (HP dv9260us) and plugged in my WUSB54GC, connected to both my wifi routers, and about 10 mins later I could have cooked eggs and bacon on the card....

Not sure what the deal is... I'm assuming a power issue w/ the drivers???
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

I'm new to this whole "Virtual Wifi" stuff..so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here...but, would this technology allow multiple connections to different wireless networks within your range at the SAME time??

For what benefit, (from a professional penetration testers point of view) would this give? What edge does this give us?

Also..to what degree, (if any) could this technology be used for mischief or illegal crimminal activity(ies) ??

Would someone please be so kind as to give me a couple examples of each scenario?? I'd appreciate it.

Also..thank you for that link streaker69..I read up on it a little bit.

Thanks
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]