Thread: Problem installing ati drivers

Just burned their ISO

Unhappy Problem installing ati drivers

Hello,

[Before I get bashed] - I have searched everywhere (including these forums) and have tried what was suggested but so far nothing has worked for me.

I want to install the ati driver to take advantage of OpenCL on my HD 6950.

I have installed the 64-bit version (i'm using BT5r3 64 bit GNOME) , amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run, with the command

Code:
    sudo sh amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
    Everything went well. Rebooted, however when i try to open AMD CCC or AMD CCC (administrator ) through system>preferences, nothing happens.

Using the command in terminal :
    Code:
    aticonfig
    I get the error :
    Code:
    aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Here is what says in /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
    Code:
    Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
    Errors during DKMS module removal
    Errors during DKMS module removal

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/source ->
                     /usr/src/fglrx-8.961

DKMS: add Completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=3.2.6 --norootcheck......
    cleaning build area....

DKMS: build Completed.

fglrx.ko:
    Running module version sanity check.
     - Original module
       - No original module exists within this kernel
     - Installation
       - Installing to /lib/modules/3.2.6/updates/dkms/

depmod.....

DKMS: install Completed.
    [Reboot] Kernel Module : update-initramfs
    I have also tried uninstalling, and reinstalling several times using some customized commands found on other troubleshooting guides, with no luck.

Note I am a complete noob to linux, but am slowly learning the commands, research and asking fellow members may be my only way of fixing this problem.

-Edit-
    Fix! see below
    Last edited by Illuminate; 01-11-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Problem installing ati drivers

If you do not unisntall radeon driver and blacklist it, you will never be able to get it working...You also want to install linux headers.

All this before installing the propietary driver.

Luck.

Just burned his ISO

Also, it may be necessary to run 'aticonfig --initial' and then reboot. May or may not, but I needed to run it when installing the experimental driver to get Steam running for myself.

Just burned their ISO

Maverik:

Just curious, how can you find out, what is the Ati Driver to be uninstall?
    Does BT5 R1 to R3 comes with an Ati driver?
    How would you know what to blacklist?

Once before I have and AMD Graphics Laptop, since I had so much trouble, I trade it for and Intel Graphics and problem solved, but some people may not have that alternative

thanks for the info, it may help others

Just burned their ISO

-Update-

I have got the ati driver working , though not in the best way.

After following some other guides to blacklist the driver, i couldn't boot into backtrack and got some kernel panic error.

Since it was a fairly new install, and I prefer the KDE GUI, I erased the HDD and installed a 64-bit version of BT5r3 KDE.

I then went to system>kpackage kit>settings>edit software resources and checked all the boxes, closed and let it update, then reboot.
    (I don't know if this step was necessary, it may be only required to check the propertiary drivers and/or universe/multiverse, but i'd wait for a more experienced user to confirm this.

I then installed the ati driver for linux from the ati website, installed as normal (cd to download directory, unzip and sh ati-file-name.run)

Rebooted and was able to successfuly open ATI CCC.

I am now going to try and get pyrit working with OpenCL.

-Edit-
    None of the above was neccessary, see below

Just burned their ISO

I suggest you to unistall the version you have and download from the site: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

You don't need to install the cataclysm too... If you have problems with the black screen when you try to reboot, use this: "aticonfig --resolution=0, 1360x768", this will change the resolution of the screen, can be used before startx, the command will change to the resolution "1360x768" or other that you put there, at monitor "0".

It worked for me.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Flost View Post
    I suggest you to unistall the version you have and download from the site: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

You don't need to install the cataclysm too... If you have problems with the black screen when you try to reboot, use this: "aticonfig --resolution=0, 1360x768", this will change the resolution of the screen, can be used before startx, the command will change to the resolution "1360x768" or other that you put there, at monitor "0".

It worked for me.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply,
    I do remember downloading the driver from that site.

Disregard my fix above, everything was working fine, pyrit would work while importing to the DB, benchmarking, and listing cores but that was about it, everything else was returning errors.

What i ended up doing is following this guide :

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=50069

This worked like a charm, however I had to use BT5r2 not BT5r3 or else pyrit would return the same errors.
    Im on around 75k PMK/s now with Cal++

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by airwolf3000 View Post
    Maverik:

Just curious, how can you find out, what is the Ati Driver to be uninstall?
    Does BT5 R1 to R3 comes with an Ati driver?
    How would you know what to blacklist?

Once before I have and AMD Graphics Laptop, since I had so much trouble, I trade it for and Intel Graphics and problem solved, but some people may not have that alternative

thanks for the info, it may help others
    All linux distros always install the open driver Radeon by default, sometimes Ubuntu detects a video card and ask you to install propietary driver, but by default the open driver is installed:
    Nvidia ---- nouveau
    ATI -------- radeon
    Intel ------ i915

All of them uses the xserver-xorg-video-"any of the driver above" package , ex: xserver-xorg-video-intel...

If you know you have, let's say nvidia, you know you have the open driver nouveau, and so on. To check it out, open a terminal and type:
    1. aptitude show xserver-xorg-video-nouveau ----- The output will tell you if installed, and if it was Automatically done, etc. Just read output.
    or
    2. aptitude search xserver-xorg-video-nouveau ---- The output will be a lot of files including noveau, at the beginning of each line there is a letter (A, i, etc). Look for the nouveau package and the letter: A=Automatically installed I=Installed

Now that you know that, you have to do 2 things:
    1. Uninstall open driver ( aptitude purge xserver-xorg-video-nvidia) if it is not working as you wish, to install the propietary driver, in this case of example we use nvidia, from the web page.
    2. Black list the nouveau driver (not the package, the module itself: nouveau) or open driver to avoid any load of module by kernel, since it will cause a video problem. (add "blacklist nouveau" to the proper file)

Now install the linux headers and then install priopetary driver.

Luck.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    All linux distros always install the open driver Radeon by default, sometimes Ubuntu detects a video card and ask you to install propietary driver, but by default the open driver is installed:
    Nvidia ---- nouveau
    ATI -------- radeon
    Intel ------ i915

All of them uses the xserver-xorg-video-"any of the driver above" package , ex: xserver-xorg-video-intel...

If you know you have, let's say nvidia, you know you have the open driver nouveau, and so on. To check it out, open a terminal and type:
    1. aptitude show xserver-xorg-video-nouveau ----- The output will tell you if installed, and if it was Automatically done, etc. Just read output.
    or
    2. aptitude search xserver-xorg-video-nouveau ---- The output will be a lot of files including noveau, at the beginning of each line there is a letter (A, i, etc). Look for the nouveau package and the letter: A=Automatically installed I=Installed

Now that you know that, you have to do 2 things:
    1. Uninstall open driver ( aptitude purge xserver-xorg-video-nvidia) if it is not working as you wish, to install the propietary driver, in this case of example we use nvidia, from the web page.
    2. Black list the nouveau driver (not the package, the module itself: nouveau) or open driver to avoid any load of module by kernel, since it will cause a video problem. (add "blacklist nouveau" to the proper file)

Now install the linux headers and then install priopetary driver.

Luck.
    Thanks Maverik:

I will keep your answer on my Desktop for futures installs, I do have a couple AMD machines but currenly running CentOS, I will try on it - Great piece of information

I had a very similar issue with an asus ares card. I used the card with pyrit and hashcat

The only issue is the latest drivers messes up the amount of gpus and amount of ram on the GPU. I must admit its been a while since ive used pyrit but i think i get around 40-50k PMKs however when running with hashcat I get nearly 200,000 so if you get a chance have a look at hashcat its already part of backtrack....

I used the Wiki as a guide changing only my driver version and the latest opencl files..
    This works on pyrit and hashcat..
    Code:
    Pyrit 0.4.1-dev (svn r308) (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

Running benchmark (45604.9 PMKs/s)... \ 

Computed 45604.88 PMKs/s total.
    #1: 'OpenCL-Device 'Cypress'': 24202.7 PMKs/s (RTT 3.0)
    #2: 'OpenCL-Device 'Cypress'': 24676.9 PMKs/s (RTT 3.0)
    #3: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 635.8 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
    #4: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 622.8 PMKs/s (RTT 2.8)
    #5: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 625.6 PMKs/s (RTT 2.9)
    #6: 'CPU-Core (SSE2)': 620.5 PMKs/s (RTT 3.0)

Live long and prosper