Thread: OSCP Prerequisites

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default OSCP Prerequisites

Hi All,

1 - Before going to start OSCP, i want to know what are the prerequisites for doing it. what certifications or language will add advantage in prepration of OSCP. i am CCNP Security,working as a Network Security Engineer, have a sound knowledge in Firewall (ASA/PIX/Juniper). i am also a RHCE during my previous jobs configured nagios,asterisk,cacti. i have no knowledge in any scripting languages. i dont know any thing about pearl,phython,shell,bash.

2 - i want to know from all of experts should i do OSCP ? whats the level of scripting is involved in OSCP ? can an unexperienced person in scripting should do OSCP ?

3 - If i do OSCP will my network security skills will add advantage to it ?

4 - What is the scope of a person who is good in security and if he is a OSCP to ?

Experts thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice which will be provided from all of u.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: OSCP Prerequisites

I took the Pentesting with BackTrack course about a year ago. Didn't pass the OSCP exam but I learned a LOT! If you have no programming experience, I suggest learning a bit about perl, python, or bash scripting. Doesn't have to be one those things...any coding experience will help. You sound well prepared, otherwise

I found the class very challenging, but also very rewarding.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Quote Originally Posted by technosecurity View Post
    Hi All,

1 - Before going to start OSCP, i want to know what are the prerequisites for doing it. what certifications or language will add advantage in prepration of OSCP. i am CCNP Security,working as a Network Security Engineer, have a sound knowledge in Firewall (ASA/PIX/Juniper). i am also a RHCE during my previous jobs configured nagios,asterisk,cacti. i have no knowledge in any scripting languages. i dont know any thing about pearl,phython,shell,bash.

2 - i want to know from all of experts should i do OSCP ? whats the level of scripting is involved in OSCP ? can an unexperienced person in scripting should do OSCP ?

3 - If i do OSCP will my network security skills will add advantage to it ?

4 - What is the scope of a person who is good in security and if he is a OSCP to ?

Experts thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice which will be provided from all of u.
    I think you may interested in my course reviews on the PWB at here and here.

I am very enjoy the course. Hope you will enjoy too.

Samiux
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.

Hi,

I'm gonna share from my experience. Right now I'm not so far away from you actually, but I've decided to take all the pen test aspect step by step. Overall there're so many things that I can tell you but I'll try to stick on the subject.

1. Firstly, because you'll need to have some programming experience, I recommend you to learn the fundamentals of Python 3. This is a very funny programming language with tremendous power when we talking about pen testing jobs.

I've decided to follow this FREE course, www.coursera.org, Programming Fundamentals. 6 weeks long, awesome learning path.

Secondly, if you want to polish your programming skills further on you can check another mega fun RPG game, www.checkio.org

From the online paid programming area I can recommend you this one: http://securitytube-training.com/onl...ert/?link=left

2. Secondly, TCP/IP. Everything you can eat about this subject.

3. Offensive-Security trainings are one from the best on the market with a only one exception in my opinion, Wifu, that is way too expensive.

There are free hacking learning platforms as:

a. http://www.hackademy.us

b. http://g0tmi1k.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0...by-design.html

c. http://blog.taddong.com/2011/10/hack...lications.html

All about this field is to learn and try but I suppose you already heard that for more than a trillion times. However, from my experience, for almost 90% of pen testing positions you'll be required to prove your pen testing skills into employee labs.

I hope that will help and mate, good luck
    Last edited by Osirium; 01-13-2013 at 01:48 PM.