Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Safe Now ?

Default Am I Safe Now ?

Hey Linux-BT

I changed from wep to wpa spk...now iam not crackable anymore...right ??

(i could not crack my wep...because my Linksys (WUSB54GC) does not really work that great...any how...now i have wpa spk...

its not crack-able at the moment isent it ? (because i did not find any tutorials)
    ROFL :D

Developer

unfortunately you are incorrect.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

depends of ur passphrase........

wpa is attackable via pure bruteforce or via dictionnary attack....

the trick is the size of ur wordlist, but like for many things size is not all, you must know how to use it the most efficiently possible....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

hmm oke (WTF) so now i know this...i cant crack my self its very advanced..!!?

btw i did not use a really difficult key...

Quote Originally Posted by littlefighter2 View Post
    hmm oke (WTF) so now i know this...i cant crack my self its very advanced..!!?

No offensive littlefighter, but I suggest that you personally d0 the research and R E A D up on the subjects, including the WUSB54GC which is IMHO a great card.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by littlefighter2 View Post
    Why?

Oh and to the original question:
    Am I Safe Now ?
    No. You might be "safer" but you'll never be safe. Flawless security doesn't exists. For every countermeasure/safeguard you employ there is at least one person trying to break it.

Flawless Security = a turned off box in my opinion

I think it was Torvalds who said something like this = "a safe computer is one that is turned off, enclosed in a lead case, with 2 security guards guarding it, locked up in a vault, and even still I have my doubts"

Quote Originally Posted by Primey View Post
    Flawless Security = a turned off box in my opinion

I think it was Torvalds who said something like this = "a safe computer is one that is turned off, enclosed in a lead case, with 2 security guards guarding it, locked up in a vault, and even still I have my doubts"
    ROFL...iam not a bank!! there is no need for such drastic measures :P

If you want to be reasonably confident that your wireless network is not going to be cracked anytime soon, here are some of the things you should consider implimenting at a minimum.

1. Use WPA/2 AES ecryption or TKIP if AES is not available ( RADIUS would be better but most people do not have a RADIUS SERVER available to them).

2. Use The type of random passphrase generated here. These passphrases are long, random and use techniques to ensure that they are as strong as possible. There is also a description of why these passphrases are as near to perfect that you can get and why. Use one 63 charecters long, including ALL ASCII characters.
    EG: H>8n;by>IK6I;]Fn*w=}EBWI?/I)=n'x9H+TDQ{]2?\M*:=s^<dq,,iSWv&0ZcD

3. Turn of administration by WLAN and remote. This means the you can only change the settings if you are connected to the AP/Router by a physical cable.

The below will not offer much extra "security" but will require aditional knowledge to know how to get around.

4. Do not broardcast your SSID, set it to hidden, or to not be boardcast. (Will only stump the kids that know nothing)

5. Turn on MAC filtering and only allow the MAC's of the cards you have.(Will only stump the kids that know nothing)

6. If you have an AP or Router Turn off wireless when not required.

These should be considered the minimum steps required to secure your wireless network.

Hope that helps.

EnculeurDePoules

In addition to the above post:
    - Change the default passwords of the router config

- check logs of the router config regularly, and eventually if your router allows it, use the extra features such as "send an email when an unauthorized website is visited"... I saw that on an Asus router, quite fancy feature!

But for the "security topic", being "safe" is utopia, and not reachable...
    for example you can have all the above and more, and get a simple trojan, and still allowing someone to connect!
    Or for the "weaknesses" not so obvious you might write your password on a paper and a friend visiting you can spot it and use it... its not paranoia, I am just giving you some clues of weaknesses!
    Or another idea: if you are on a network, lets say with 2 flatmates or whatever... provided one of them is "newbie", you're still endangering your security, again with trojans, viruses...
    Its like a "train", if one "wagon" lets enter anyone, they will get access to the whole train!!

oh and finally the best security ever is "social engineering" and human principles: check the logs, check the lights on the router, dont give your passwords, etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast