Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Audio - BT5 R2

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: No Audio - BT5 R2

Quote Originally Posted by b4ckupn0w View Post
    Ok. I searched my entire HD for a run folder. It doesn't exist. How can I install and switch to "pulseaudio" instead of the default installation?
    Would you post the settings of your alsamixer? please...If pics, much better.

After see them, then we switch to pulseaudio.

Just burned their ISO b4ckupn0w's Avatar

Now I really need help. I accidentally erased 80% of my var directory. I can't even load my desktop now using startx. Luckily most of my other files are still accessible and it appears that there's network connectivity. How can I re-store the var to what it was before I deleted it? Is there a system restore feature like in Windows or what?

Now I really need help. I accidentally erased 80% of my var directory. I can't even load my desktop now using startx. Luckily most of my other files are still accessible and it appears that there's network connectivity. How can I re-store the var to what it was before I deleted it? Is there a system restore feature like in Windows or what?
    That is a very sensible folder, you might want to reinstall OS...There are few ways to try to recover file, but if you want to try using "testdisk" utility, see if in repos..Then undelete files from the partition.

Luck.

okay I'll try it. can I re-install just the desktop?

I can't install testdisk or foremost..."Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock" (no such file or directory). "Unable to lock the administration directory"(/var/lib/dpkg/). Can I somehow install this from a USB drive?
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 01-13-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Merged

okay I'll try it. can I re-install just the desktop?

I can't install testdisk or foremost..."Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock" (no such file or directory). "Unable to lock the administration directory"(/var/lib/dpkg/). Can I somehow install this from a USB drive?
    Create the directory as looked for: mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/lock

If another directory is not found under /var, do the same thing and create it. There should be abut 2 or 3 more folders if using aptitude command, maybe more, just see what the System is looking for and create them.

I managed to backup my files using Samba into an old XP box. Now the hard part is playing recovery. I got testdisk and exundelete from source forge. The tar files do not contain the executable. I have to now somehow compile the source and attempt to recover the var directory. How can I compile the apps if gcc is not on the system. Is there an easier way? I doubt just creating the directories(mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/lock) will trick the system into downloading files using apt-get, but I'll try it later. This is a total nightmare!

try installing testdisk from the respos..I do not know if is in repos but search for it: aptitude search testdisk.

But first create as much directories as requested by aptitude as I posted before.

Forget it! I formatted the entire BT 5R2 installation. It's not worth fixing. I got BT 5 R3 up and running. So, I'll try the audio tweaks on the new system. Her little mishap taught us a very important linux lesson, RTFM and Back UP daily! I'll try experimenting with testdisk and extundelete on a VM l8tr, just to see how well it works. Thanks for the tips and info.

Cool Re: No Audio - BT5 R2

Ok now it works. Flost was right. That one line loads the right modules! Thanks.

Just burned their ISO

Same here man. But the problem is that I am on Backtrack 5 R3. I've also used pulseaudio as one of my startup applications, but still, there is not sound.
    When I try to find my sound card, I see this:
    Code :lspci
    Output:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1040 (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation HDMI Audio stub (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
    I would really appreci

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12