Thread: Fern Wifi Cracker issue - cannot associate with MAC

Just burned his ISO

Question Fern Wifi Cracker issue - cannot associate with MAC

I have successfully used Backtrack before with reaver, but as reaver is now being quite buggy for me, I've decided to try Fern Wifi Cracker. I installed backtrack 5 on VM (Ubuntu), and I have a WG111v2 for packet injection, which has worked successfully in the past. On backtrack 5r2 and r3, I have tried running Fern 1.6 and 1.7 versions. Everything works fine until I try to wifi attack. I get the error that I cannot associate with the host MAC address. I've tried to manually enter the MAC/bssid in the geolocator tool, but I can't. This error occurs for both WEP and WPA attacks. Everything I've read on Fern suggests that the process should be self-automated. Do I need to spoof a MAC address first?

I have also not installed/downloaded any dictionaries, and I'm wondering if this could be another problem. The bssid I'm trying to attack is not WPS locked, and reaver is installed, but Fern will not let me choose WPS attack, saying that it is not supported. But it seems that if I am doing a 'regular' attack, I would need to have a dictionary of some kind, and I'm not sure where/how to download those into VM. Are these issues are at all related? Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Fern Wifi Cracker issue - cannot associate with MAC

Hi,

Indeed, using reaver alone in associating with a target access point sometimes fail, fern tries to use reaver and aireplay simultaneously until association is successful, also if really the target access point supports WPS and fern returns the message that WPS is not enabled on the router, it's because it had not received WPS probes from the target access point, you may have to wait for like 2 minutes or more for the program to detect the WPS availability, then try selecting the "wps attack" again.

You can get a dictionary from this path in backtrack:

/pentest/passwords/wordlist/darkcode.lst
    Last edited by savioboyz; 10-27-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Saviour Emmauel Ekiko

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Fern Wifi Cracker issue - cannot associate with MAC

well maybe i have same issue .. but still i don't know... i have issue with ivs... Standard method (console one) work fine, it's usually need no more then 100.000 ivs for cracking my 128 bit wep key. But with fern i'am not able to crack wep key even with more then 1.000.000 ivs...