Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hack my computer

linuxbeast

Talking Hack my computer

I am thinking of putting a computer into a DMZ (Demilitarized zone) on my network and keeping it completely opened to the public. The router will not act as a firewall. Also, I won't make iptables configuration on it, but I will put some security features on it such as SELinux. Would anyone be interested in running BT2 software against that machine?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxbeast View Post
    I am thinking of putting a computer into a DMZ (Demilitarized zone) on my network and keeping it completely opened to the public. The router will not act as a firewall. Also, I won't make iptables configuration on it, but I will put some security features on it such as SELinux. Would anyone be interested in running BT2 software against that machine?
    Most ISPs prohibit the use of "hacker-type" tools across their networks, i.e., nmap. You'd have a difficult time making this legal.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Yes, I was about to say that the first "hurdle" will be to prove that it's even your own machine, without the rest of the likely problems!

I'm not sure what your intentions are, with this exercise...
    Maybe you'd find the Honeynet Project an interesting area of study?

If you set up a completely undefended machine on the net, I don't think you'll need to *look* for people willing to attack it for you!

Developer

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I would not feel comfortable attacking a machine across the net , through multiple severs and isp's on your say so.

linuxbeast

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Most ISPs prohibit the use of "hacker-type" tools across their networks, i.e., nmap. You'd have a difficult time making this legal.
    Technically ISPs do not make laws. Therefore ISPs prohibiting nmap would not make it illegal. They could lose you as a customer if they decide to not give you service anymore.

linuxbeast

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Yes, I was about to say that the first "hurdle" will be to prove that it's even your own machine, without the rest of the likely problems!

I'm not sure what your intentions are, with this exercise...
    Maybe you'd find the Honeynet Project an interesting area of study?

If you set up a completely undefended machine on the net, I don't think you'll need to *look* for people willing to attack it for you!
    Honeypot is interesting. Have you ever heard of hardened gentoo?

Developer

Technically ISPs do not make laws. Therefore ISPs prohibiting nmap would not make it illegal. They could lose you as a customer if they decide to not give you service anymore.
    If a ISP states in the contract that YOU signed not to use any "hack" tools or whatever it may say and you still use them then you are in a breech of contract which is against the law.

Read what he said again, there were two separate sentences there.

He never said that ISP's make the laws, nor did he say that they would make it illegal.

linuxbeast

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post

He never said that ISP's make the laws, nor did he say that they would make it illegal.
    I realized the other day that BT2 is a proxy server by default. What software is it running for the proxy server? Is it Squid Proxy Server? I'd like to know, so that I can look for some documentation on the software.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post

Your correct in that a isp cant make nmap illegal but but they can make it so if you use it on their network it's against the law.

For example: I am a slum lord and I own a block of apts. I make you sign a contract when you move in that states you will not consume any alcoholic beverages while on my property. You sign. Then next week I catch you drinking and I Kick you out. You get irrate and will not leave. I call the police you go to jail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast