Backtrack 5 R3 KDE 32bit, installed on multi boot laptop with win7, Ubuntu 10.10 and Backtrack 5 R3. I am using the implementation of grub built in to Ubuntu 10.10 to boot all three operating systems. The hardware is an Acer aspire 4250. The hang occures during Backtrack startup. I select bactrack from the grub minu, it boots, I see the splash screen ( the more you hear etc), then screen goes back to scrolling text until login appears. At this point, if I let the system sit for about 15 seconds it hangs. If I try to log in, it hangs. If I connect the laptop to the internet with a cat5 in the RJ45 socket, or if I just plug the system into an unused Cisco switch, Backtrak boots and runs normally. I think the problem is connected to the wired network drivers. Does anyone have a clue?

BTW – BT 5 R3 is the only OS that manifests this behavior. My enchant Ubuntu distro and my game boot loader (microsoft windows) both boot and run without a problem.

Network hardware info:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet
vendor: Atheros Communications
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: c1
serial: e8:9a:8f:31:0d:fb
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.0.2-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:42 memory:f0200000-f023ffff ioport:2000(size=128)