Thread: encrypted USB Version

Just burned his ISO

Default encrypted USB Version

Hello,

I'd like to see an encrypted usb version of backtrack. Due to some law restrictions in germany it is forbidden to own any hack related software...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MrIch View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to see an encrypted usb version of backtrack. Due to some law restrictions in germany it is forbidden to own any hack related software...
    Then you should probably consider obeying the law in place and work to get the law actually changed.

I don't agree with the law, I think it's stupid, but at the same time, while it's in place, you should abide by it and work to change it by legal means.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Default encryption

Encryption of a usb filesystem (or fixed disk for that matter) is futile for the intended purpose since all files will need to be decrypted for use in user-space.

You might also have an expectation that laws will (or are about to be enacted in individual countries across Europe) which make it an offence to withold the decryption key. Failure to render up a key on request will be punishable.

Ownership of dual-use software and hardware has always been a difficult issue. If you are a security professional then your advising body and Department of Trade will be able to help you...if you are not then it might be prudent to wait until local case law clarifies the issues for you.

This forum does not condone any illegal activity.
    Lux sit

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Encryption of a usb filesystem (or fixed disk for that matter) is futile for the intended purpose since all files will need to be decrypted for use in user-space.

You might also have an expectation that laws will (or are about to be enacted in individual countries across Europe) which make it an offence to withold the decryption key. Failure to render up a key on request will be punishable.

Ownership of dual-use software and hardware has always been a difficult issue. If you are a security professional then your advising body and Department of Trade will be able to help you...if you are not then it might be prudent to wait until local case law clarifies the issues for you.

This forum does not condone any illegal activity.
    Another issue arises when someone outside of German soil sends/transmits/mails illegal software to Germany, where they will also seek prosecution against the sender... even if the sender/provider is outside the border it's considered a German offense and if they step foot in Germany their will be a warrant waiting for them.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    Another issue arises when someone outside of German soil sends/transmits/mails illegal software to Germany, where they will also seek prosecution against the sender... even if the sender/provider is outside the border it's considered a German offense and if they step foot in Germany their will be a warrant waiting for them.
    This is interesting, so the German gov't is in the process of creating warrants to detain millions of people based on online pseudonyms?

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    This is interesting, so the German gov't is in the process of creating warrants to detain millions of people based on online pseudonyms?
    They've had the process for years
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Not everyone hides behind a nickname. Besides, who want's L33tH@kk@911 as an AKA on their rap sheet?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not everyone hides behind a nickname. Besides, who want's L33tH@kk@911 as an AKA on their rap sheet?
    Not everyone, but I would make an educated guess that the overwhelming majority does.

To the original topic, encrypted or not you can still be caught.