Thread: Just need a nudge in the right direction ...

Just burned his ISO

Default Just need a nudge in the right direction ...

OK - I've been working with BT2 for about a month now and FINALLY was able to crack WEP on my own AP. I have tried my neighbor's AP (with permission), but could not capture IV's or perform injection. Would the be caused by the fact that he had no active clients on his end? (Yes/No)

Where I need the help is in connecting to the internet. I can crack my AP, but cannot use FireFox or ping. I set all my iwconfig properties, used the Wifi tools in the distro (which say I am connected to my AP), do a 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' and still I cannot connect. I also cannot 'ping 192.168.1.1' which should be my router/gateway.

So, where can I read more to learn and help myself?

Thanks - BT2 rocks.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by S7oneGhos7 View Post
    OK - I've been working with BT2 for about a month now and FINALLY was able to crack WEP on my own AP. I have tried my neighbor's AP (with permission), but could not capture IV's or perform injection. Would the be caused by the fact that he had no active clients on his end? (Yes/No)

Where I need the help is in connecting to the internet. I can crack my AP, but cannot use FireFox or ping. I set all my iwconfig properties, used the Wifi tools in the distro (which say I am connected to my AP), do a 'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' and still I cannot connect. I also cannot 'ping 192.168.1.1' which should be my router/gateway.

So, where can I read more to learn and help myself?

Thanks - BT2 rocks.
    first question is NO having clients connected is of no relevance to whether wep can be broken. See xploitz's excellent video series.

Question 2. You have given us ZERO information to work with but I'll try osmossis.........uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm.......I feeling that most likely you have not taken your card out of monitor mode correctly or you are not using dhcpcd in order to get a address.

Just burned his ISO

On question #1, I'll go back and re-read the cracking wep instructions for the aircrack tools. I thought there were multiple cases presented having to do with 'no clients connected' and 'clients connected'

On question #2, the wifi tools appear to be a GUI for the command line ifconfig and iwconfig shell commands, so I assumed that trying both the shell approach and the GUI approach would cover the bases. I did try an iwconfig wlan0 mode managed and a dhcpcd wlan0. The iwconfig is ok. The dhcpcd always times out, so I set the IP address, netmask, dhcp server, and gateway manually. I suspect that the fact that I cannot dhcpcd means I am not really connected to the AP. Also, when the wifi tools say I am connected to the AP, the AP GUI does not report the connection in its connection list.

I am not at my comp right now, but here is what I do:

modprobe rt71

ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid APNAME
    iwconfig wlan0 ap APMAC
    iwconfig wlan0 key HEXKEY
    iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
    iwconfig wlan0 channel 3

ifconfig wlan0 inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
    or
    dhcpcd wlan0

I will view the videos again, but the transcripts are more helpful. Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Sweet - I got it. My WEP key was off by a digit when I copied it out of my router config. My bad.

Close this thread.