Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to move bt scripts to another distro?

Default how to move bt scripts to another distro?

Hey guys, I've been using bt2 for a while and it seems that using 2 OSs is not the most efficient way of working.
    Of course, there is virtualization and stuff, but still

Is there any *right* way except for copy-pasting the pentest folder, of moving all the scripts from my backtrack partition to my primary Ubuntu partition? I mean, with all the K menu shortcuts, etc.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    Hey guys, I've been using bt2 for a while and it seems that using 2 OSs is not the most efficient way of working.
    Of course, there is virtualization and stuff, but still

Is there any *right* way except for copy-pasting the pentest folder, of moving all the scripts from my backtrack partition to my primary Ubuntu partition? I mean, with all the K menu shortcuts, etc.

Any help will be highly appreciated!
    Wouldn't this question be better asked at the Ubuntu Forum?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Others may have a different opinion but if I was you I would just make a list of the tools you liked or wanted and then start from scratch in unbuntu and compile all the tools seperately. As far as I know you can't just "rob" the pentest directory because of shared librarys , symbolic links and a host of other things. If you like unbuntu better simply build it the way you want. 3he whole point of open source linux is build what you need.

Default nope :)

I don't think so.
    Blame me for the incomplete question

Actually, I know how to edit manually the ubuntu K menu file, but slax is a foreign land to me (I'm a debian fan, hence the ubuntu distro).

In general, what I am trying to accomplish is move the tools out of backtrack to my debian (ubuntu) installation.

Since many of them are scripts, it's easy to run them from the command line, but it's just not the same.

Default a

Purehate, you are totally correct.

That is what I'm doing currently - building from scratch.

Just looked for a more straightforward way, hoped anyone has done this before.

p.s. my english is just ... foreign

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    I don't think so.
    Blame me for the incomplete question

Actually, I know how to edit manually the ubuntu K menu file, but slax is a foreign land to me (I'm a debian fan, hence the ubuntu distro).

In general, what I am trying to accomplish is move the tools out of backtrack to my debian (ubuntu) installation.

Since many of them are scripts, it's easy to run them from the command line, but it's just not the same.
    There is a debian security distro called nunbuntu. check that out maybe. ok that's all Ill discuss outside backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    There is a debian security distro called nunbuntu.
    While Nubuntu is a worthy effort, it isn't anywhere near a worthy adversary to Back|Track; the digital toolkit lists speak for themselves... plus BT isn't as heavy on resources.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Developer

I agree nunbuntu doesn't even come close to backtrack. I was simply pointing him towards a debian based distro.

I've had to revert back to Ubuntu on my micro pc since there are just too many damn ports I would have to do for drivers to get the hardware to run the way I want it to with B|T / Slack .... I've been dying to get B|T back on it and have decided to wait until III is released before I take the porting plunge
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

well, I run Backtrack as a virtual machine under VirtualBox currently, yet it is somewhat crippled when speaking of wifi, when virtualized.

And yes, nubuntu cannot even compare to Back|Track - at all.

I have successfully ported almost all of the tools to ubuntu, and currently miss only nessus as my system is x64 and of course, the patched bcm43xx injection drivers, but it will be fixed too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast