Thread: uefi booting backtrack 5 on macbook pro 8.1

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Cool uefi booting backtrack 5 on macbook pro 8.1

hello ..
    i have not good experience with linux
    i have MacBook Pro 8.1 13-inch, Early 2011
    ( Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB )
    i have 4 native operating systems on it
    1- mac osx 10.8
    2- windows 8
    3-ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64+mac
    4-backtrack 5 r3 64 bit gnome
    i installed all the operating systems with no problem at all and i use refit boot loader to boot to each system
    the ubuntu-12.10 installed all the drivers automaticaly i didn't install any extra drivers the Intel HD Graphics is working with the same native resolution on os x operating system 1280x800
    the problem is
    on backtrack no drivers are installed so Intel HD Graphics is not giving me the native resolution 1280x800 it has to resolutions there 1024x768 & 800x600 the sound is not working to , the network allso not working i think the problem is that the backtrack has not efi booting but the new 12.10 ubuntu has it
    i thing i maybe able to merge files from ubuntu.iso with backtrack.iso to solve the problem
    the problem is the ubuntu iso files are very complicated it has the following files
    boot > grub > loopback.cfg

isolinux > grub > grub.cfg
    isolinux > grub > efi.img
    isolinux > grub > x86_64-efi > grub.cfg
    and many other files
    syslinux > grub > grub.cfg
    syslinux > grub > efi.img
    and many other files
    syslinux > grub > x86_64-efi > grub.cfg
    so how can i merge ubunto files with backtrack files without problems and which grub.cfg to edit
    i tried google and searched the forums here but nothing helped
    so could any body help here

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: uefi booting backtrack 5 on macbook pro 8.1

Hey aldarko,
    I was hoping to be able to do this too :confused:

There will be so many headaches involved apparently :p - I've read in loads of places, the best way of doing things on a Mac is just to run it in VMware Fusion/ under VirtualBox.

You can download a preconfigured virtual machine version from the BackTrack website with VMware Tools + all the other Mac drivers installed by default. These do not come with the standard .iso version. Everything should then work as expected! :)

There isn't really that many advantages between dual/ triple- booting compared to running Backtrack as a virtual machine. Backtrack doesn't take up too much ram as a virtual machine on your Mac, so it's probably just easiest to do things that way... :(

Hope this kind of helps! :p
    Maybe someone else who knows what to do may be able to help us both out and write a tutorial for everyone on how to install the Backtrack ISO and set up all the drivers on a Mac as another partition on the hard disk :) It's a lot of work apparently though and may not even be possible atm, so let's not get too excited!... :p

Kind regards,
    th3ars3

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: uefi booting backtrack 5 on macbook pro 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by aldarko View Post
    hello ..
    i have not good experience with linux
    i have MacBook Pro 8.1 13-inch, Early 2011
    ( Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB )
    i have 4 native operating systems on it
    1- mac osx 10.8
    2- windows 8
    3-ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64+mac
    4-backtrack 5 r3 64 bit gnome
    i installed all the operating systems with no problem at all and i use refit boot loader to boot to each system
    the ubuntu-12.10 installed all the drivers automaticaly i didn't install any extra drivers the Intel HD Graphics is working with the same native resolution on os x operating system 1280x800
    the problem is
    on backtrack no drivers are installed so Intel HD Graphics is not giving me the native resolution 1280x800 it has to resolutions there 1024x768 & 800x600 the sound is not working to , the network allso not working i think the problem is that the backtrack has not efi booting but the new 12.10 ubuntu has it
    i thing i maybe able to merge files from ubuntu.iso with backtrack.iso to solve the problem
    the problem is the ubuntu iso files are very complicated it has the following files
    boot > grub > loopback.cfg

isolinux > grub > grub.cfg
    isolinux > grub > efi.img
    isolinux > grub > x86_64-efi > grub.cfg
    and many other files
    syslinux > grub > grub.cfg
    syslinux > grub > efi.img
    and many other files
    syslinux > grub > x86_64-efi > grub.cfg
    so how can i merge ubunto files with backtrack files without problems and which grub.cfg to edit
    i tried google and searched the forums here but nothing helped
    so could any body help here
    How about booting from Ubuntu in your HDD, open up a terminal and see the module (driver for the Windows and Mac world users) loaded by kernel (video and sound). You have homework...

Then compare it with what the BT5 kernel loaded.

Other thing, the grub.cfg is "not to be touched"..It is clearly stated at the grub website. You have files to modify it and then create a new grub.cfg with those changes using update-grub.

The syslinux files are needed to boot from USB devices, the isolinux to boot from cd/dvd Live distros. Both the ISOlinux and Syslinux as such are bootloaders, like the grub2, which incidentally can also be installed in a USB device as bootloader.

BT5 is "based" on ubuntu 10.04, but "it is not" ubuntu 10.04. Do not expect "one click will do it for you", "It will do it automatic", "seat back and relax, I'll do the rest after one click", etc or take anything for granted when it comes to linux distros.

I strongly suggest to read more and get informed before modify something as you may end up with more issues in your installation.

Luck.