Thread: How to install TPLinlk 721N driver

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default How to install TPLinlk 721N driver

Hi,

I have a TP-Link TL-WN721N usb wireless adapter installed and currently Windows 7 32 bit installed and working fine.

I downloaded BackTrack Linux 5 R3 and booted through USB. I can see wlan0 but not able to get IP address. I tried searching through iwlist wlan0 scan..I could see the essid of my wireless router but when I try to connect i get following error:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A).
    SET failed on device wlan0; invalid argument.

My wireless router is Linksys WAG 160N. My SSID is broadcasing, 11th Channel, Security Mode is WPA2-Personal, Encryption => TKIP or AES and pre-shared key is all numerical values.

How do I connect to get the ip address.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: How to install TPLinlk 721N driver

what driver is kernel loading?..What chipset is the tplink?...How do you connect to AP?

Please, post important info....

Just burned their ISO

Here is the detail which i could find out. I am new in Linux stuff

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"myssid"
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off

Cell 02 - Address: mymacaddress
    Channel:11
    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
    Quality=31/70 Signal level=-79 dBm
    Encryption key:on
    ESSID:"myssid"
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
    11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    Bit Rates:24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Mode:Master
    Extra:tsf=000000099e25c908
    Extra: Last beacon: 76ms ago
    IE: Unknown: 0004484F4D45
    IE: Unknown: 010882848B0C12961824
    IE: Unknown: 03010B
    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

If any information required, please let me know what command should i run to get the info.

THanks a lot

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

I spent time searching for chipset, that is suppose to be your task, as I said, brand is not a sensible info, is the chipset..Now, please post exactly the model at least to search, because by the name of tp-link 721n I found almost nothing as far as chipset, but with TPLINK WN721N I found one and chipset..
    Is that it?..The model?..Please, again, post sensible information to help you better and faster.
    If so , yes,it is supported...AR9271 is the chipset...

Download this firmware : http://wireless.kernel.org/download/htc_fw/1.3/ (choose the htc_9271 since it is for your chipset)

You need to have already installed the compat-wireless. Check it : aptitude show compat-wireless, if not installed search repos: aptitude search compat-wireless if it's not there, you will need to download it and install it here: http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-wireless-2.6/

Again, first install the compat-wireless then download the firmware..Firmaware must be copied into /lib/firmware/, at least in Debian, let me check in BT5 to see where the firmwares files should be copied under..

Luck.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    I spent time searching for chipset, that is suppose to be your task, as I said, brand is not a sensible info, is the chipset..Now, please post exactly the model at least to search, because by the name of tp-link 721n I found almost nothing as far as chipset, but with TPLINK WN721N I found one and chipset..
    Is that it?..The model?..Please, again, post sensible information to help you better and faster.
    If so , yes,it is supported...AR9271 is the chipset...

Download this firmware : http://wireless.kernel.org/download/htc_fw/1.3/ (choose the htc_9271 since it is for your chipset)

You need to have already installed the compat-wireless. Check it : aptitude show compat-wireless, if not installed search repos: aptitude search compat-wireless if it's not there, you will need to download it and install it here: http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-wireless-2.6/

Again, first install the compat-wireless then download the firmware..Firmaware must be copied into /lib/firmware/, at least in Debian, let me check in BT5 to see where the firmwares files should be copied under..

Luck.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply and the pain you are taking to help me. Yes the usb wireless which I have is TP Link WN721N. I am not at home right now so I could not run the compat command and others. Once I reach home I will definitely try the options you have mentioned.

Thanks a lot.
    Regards,
    Shahid