Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question> does 2 connection makes it faster?

EnculeurDePoules

Default Simple question> does 2 connection makes it faster?

Hey!

I have a simple and probably stupid question...!
    does 2 connections makes it faster?
    Like I mean having wireless activated and a cable connection in the same time!!

I actually never thought of that before, it sounds silly but...
    I mean technically if its from 2 different connection i should have it faster no>
    ?

Switching to a network cable might make it faster than your wirless signal, but since it would still go to your 1 router/ internet connection it wont go faster by having two.

EnculeurDePoules

Quote Originally Posted by Notlist3d View Post
    Switching to a network cable might make it faster than your wirless signal, but since it would still go to your 1 router/ internet connection it wont go faster by having two.
    Hey thanks!
    of course I see I need to explain further!
    I mean, the theorical debit of "wifi" is 54mbs? and the ethernet should be 100mbs...
    So it would be faster by cable...

Also I am talking about a particular situation:
    having one wireless, connected to the work wifi open, and the cable (ethernet) connected to another network at work (ie not the same ressources, not the same speed, not the same connection)

thats why I just wonder now after a few years of use of networks... never had this situation!!?

I mean I would suppose only one is active at the time but then:
    -which one takes the lead? Why?
    -why can not we have two in the same time?
    ...etc

Default laodbalance

google loadbalance, and to point you in the right direction, windows server 2003 is the only O/S i know at this time that will balance network load. i will be testing this idea my self on server 2003 with dual wifi and will also try with 2 hard wire's this week..
    BT3 Beta
    HDD dual boot install
    Toshiba Equium
    Atheros 5004x

wilkosplus.co.uk

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by EnculeurDePoules View Post
    Hey thanks!
    of course I see I need to explain further!
    I mean, the theorical debit of "wifi" is 54mbs? and the ethernet should be 100mbs...
    So it would be faster by cable...

Also I am talking about a particular situation:
    having one wireless, connected to the work wifi open, and the cable (ethernet) connected to another network at work (ie not the same ressources, not the same speed, not the same connection)

thats why I just wonder now after a few years of use of networks... never had this situation!!?

I mean I would suppose only one is active at the time but then:
    -which one takes the lead? Why?
    -why can not we have two in the same time?
    ...etc
    You will never see a difference in speed even with load balancing enabled, as I doubt that your internet connection is 54Mbs or 100Mbs.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You will never see a difference in speed even with load balancing enabled, as I doubt that your internet connection is 54Mbs or 100Mbs.

Hey, he might be that old lady over in England!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hey, he might be that old lady over in England!
    She wasn't in England, she was in Switzerland, wasn't she?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    She wasn't in England, she was in Switzerland, wasn't she?
    Hell I don't know. All I know is I want her internet connection!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

EnculeurDePoules

Quote Originally Posted by arvee View Post
    google loadbalance, and to point you in the right direction, windows server 2003 is the only O/S i know at this time that will balance network load. i will be testing this idea my self on server 2003 with dual wifi and will also try with 2 hard wire's this week..
    Many thanks! Its a good keyword to start my search!
    I learned quickly that there is 2 systems:
    1. Combining Bandwidth.

2. Load Balancing two connections.

Let assume that you have two 3Mb/sec. connections each capable to download at 300KB/sec.
    With Combined Bandwidth you should be able to download one file at 600KB/sec.

With Load Balancing one single file will not exceed download speed of 300KB/sec. However you can download 2 files at 300KB/sec. or 4 files at 150KB/sec. etc.

source:
    http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html

Its interesting though I did not know!
    So apparenlty the only solution for all is the load balancing, as the combined requires specific professional connection!!

I don't know I might have a cable connection faster than 100mbps actually...at work!
    (not the wifi though, its really slow)
    But then my device (ethernet card broadcom) is only 100mbps max!

Quote Originally Posted by EnculeurDePoules View Post
    Many thanks! Its a good keyword to start my search!
    I learned quickly that there is 2 systems:
    1. Combining Bandwidth.

2. Load Balancing two connections.

Let assume that you have two 3Mb/sec. connections each capable to download at 300KB/sec.
    With Combined Bandwidth you should be able to download one file at 600KB/sec.

With Load Balancing one single file will not exceed download speed of 300KB/sec. However you can download 2 files at 300KB/sec. or 4 files at 150KB/sec. etc.

source:
    http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html

Its interesting though I did not know!
    So apparenlty the only solution for all is the load balancing, as the combined requires specific professional connection!!

I don't know I might have a cable connection faster than 100mbps actually...at work!
    (not the wifi though, its really slow)
    But then my device (ethernet card broadcom) is only 100mbps max!
    Wow! I wish we had a 100Mb connection at work. We have two 10Mb load balanced connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast