Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please.....

Just burned his ISO

Default Advice please.....

Hi All, I wont bore you with a long thread, I'm just looking for a little advice....

As my nickname suggests, I run my own business, and I have an unencrypted wifi network to allow my 20 employees access to the internet, and before you ask why is it open? Because I dont use the internet much except for ordering supplies etc, and Im a kindly soul so I'm happy for people to connect to my network and browse the web free of charge, although I do have a filter on it that stops people abusing the connection.

With that in mind I am looking for advice on dealing with a nuisance over the road, He owns a pub and has his own wireless network, but for some reason he finds it funny to keep logging onto and encrypting my router which although easily rectified by resetting the router, it is annoying.
    Also he has found a way to bypass my mac address filtering as every time this happens i ban his mac address but he still manages to get on.

His wireless network is wep encrypted, and I would like to give him a taste of his own medicine by cracking his wep key and every time he messes with my network I will change his router's settings and wep key, hopefully after a few instances of this happening he will get the message, get bored, and stop making a nuisance of himself.

However, as I have no experience in these matters, I would like to ask if anyone has developed software for windows that will crack a wep key and is nice and simple to use, rather than command line/linux based software which is all I have been able to find by using google and browsing forums such as this one, as I am very busy and simply do not have the spare time at the moment to research and learn how to use the packages such as Backtrack and Aircrack-ng

Thankyou in advance for anyone who can suggest anything to help!!

for some reason he finds it funny to keep logging onto and encrypting my router which although easily rectified by resetting the router
    Change the default password on the admin interface!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by shopowner View Post
    Hi All, I wont bore you with a long thread, I'm just looking for a little advice....

As my nickname suggests, I run my own business, and I have an unencrypted wifi network to allow my 20 employees access to the internet, and before you ask why is it open? Because I dont use the internet much except for ordering supplies etc, and Im a kindly soul so I'm happy for people to connect to my network and browse the web free of charge, although I do have a filter on it that stops people abusing the connection.

With that in mind I am looking for advice on dealing with a nuisance over the road, He owns a pub and has his own wireless network, but for some reason he finds it funny to keep logging onto and encrypting my router which although easily rectified by resetting the router, it is annoying.
    Also he has found a way to bypass my mac address filtering as every time this happens i ban his mac address but he still manages to get on.

His wireless network is wep encrypted, and I would like to give him a taste of his own medicine by cracking his wep key and every time he messes with my network I will change his router's settings and wep key, hopefully after a few instances of this happening he will get the message, get bored, and stop making a nuisance of himself.

However, as I have no experience in these matters, I would like to ask if anyone has developed software for windows that will crack a wep key and is nice and simple to use, rather than command line/linux based software which is all I have been able to find by using google and browsing forums such as this one, as I am very busy and simply do not have the spare time at the moment to research and learn how to use the packages such as Backtrack and Aircrack-ng

Thankyou in advance for anyone who can suggest anything to help!!
    So, you're going to return the favor of him committing a crime against you by committing one yourself?

As my Thorin stated, change the Default password on your router, and turn off the WebAdministration on the WLAN port if possible.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I second that motion.

Look into what security options your router has. Maybe it has AP Isolation(wouldn't keep him from accessing the router, but would make it more difficult to sniff your password over the air). Or it may have the option to only allow access to the admin page from a wired connection, keeping any of your wireless users from accessing it. There are a few more possibilities, but it all depends on the make/model of your router.

As for cracking his WEP, you may run into some trouble here because, although he may deserve it, it's still illegal.
    Either way, I don't really know many Windows tools, but I know aircrack-ng has been ported to Windows.

Just Google "how to crack WEP using Windows" or something similar and there should be a few articles that come up, mostly using aircrack-ng.

Be careful what you do, it could get you in trouble.

Just burned his ISO

I've already changed the security settings on it countless times password etc, but this guy knows what he's doing and keeps finding ways around it - the make of my router is Belkin - as are the wireless dongles I and my staff use

I've already changed the security settings on it countless times password etc, but this guy knows what he's doing and keeps finding ways around it - the make of my router is Belkin - as are the wireless dongles I and my staff use
    Then report him to the proper authorities, as he's committing a crime.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

I could but I doubt I will have any joy as I havent encrypted the connection so therefore all the authorities will say is encrypt it and report him if he still manages to mess with it. That's why I'm looking to give him a taste of his own medicine

I could but I doubt I will have any joy as I havent encrypted the connection so therefore all the authorities will say is encrypt it and report him if he still manages to mess with it. That's why I'm looking to give him a taste of his own medicine
    But you have no right to commit a crime in retribution. That's called vigilantism.

If you're in the US, it doesn't matter if it's encrypted or not, what he's doing is committing a crime.

Plus, you don't know what LE will do until you talk to them.

Just burned his ISO

Im in the UK - as far as I know theres no laws against it yet

Im in the UK - as far as I know theres no laws against it yet
    There are laws in the UK against criminal computer tresspass, as he is doing that. Doesn't matter if you leave your AP open or not, he has intruded upon a 'protected system' as it does have a password on it, and has vandalized the setup.

We can sit and argue about this all day long, but you're not going to get any help on what you're trying to do, because what you want to do is indeed a crime.

Did you consider going over, sitting down with him over tea and krumpets and discuss why he's such an asshole? Maybe it's because his daddy didn't hug him enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast