Thread: Reccomended training courses?

Default Reccomended training courses?

I know the #1 rule of this forum is to use google and to search for previous posts about this, however, i'm looking for personal opinions of people who might have an opinion about the question at hand.

What training courses (beyond the offsec101 course offered by offensive security, that's already cataloged away for consideration) would you recommend to a firm that performs audits, security work, and a few other things that we do really well?

Online training might be preferable to sending 10 people across the country as we're currently based out of south florida.

It doesn't have to be specific to penetration testing and if there's a certification attached, its all the better.

Have you taken any training courses? Did you find value in them?

There are a ton of online seminars and courses out there, and wherever there's money to be spent, there's someone willing to take it for nothing in return and second hand verification might help that.

I know people with the following (personally have the ones marked *):
    CISSP*
    OPST*
    OPSA
    CISM
    CPP

I'd say dont' bother with things like Security+ (the IT security industry's A+ equivalent).

There are probably some SANS courses worth taking, as well as any courses offered via Blackhat/Defcon.

Somewhere I bookmarked a breakdown of popular IT Sec certifications, I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Personally I don't take a course or bother with a certificaiton unless a lot of customers are asking for it or a number of people recommend it to me. (Edit: Or it's really cheap and a VERY interesting topic)

thank you, we already have everyone in the firm going for their CISA and a few people are also going for the CISSP.

I'll look into the OPST and the OPSA.