Thread: How do I do it?

Just burned his ISO

Default How do I do it?

I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this..so I figured I would ask those that know more than me...which is all of you...so don't flame me I admit it

My uncles house is about 100 yards behind his son in laws...who has cable and a wireless access point ..and the cable company won't run the cable all the way back to his house. He has permission to share the cable access with the son in law..

I recomended he just get one of those panel antenna's with built in USB adaptor. They range from 30 to 37db ..so im sure it would get him connected.
    But it would only work on the one computer..tied to the usb cable.

Not what he want's. He wants his house wireless...

I'm not sure what hardware we need...
    I know we will need an antenna...hooked to what?
    The repeaters I have seen only have one antenna...so if i put a big antenna on it..and point it at the front house how will it service the back house?

How do we do it?

Do we need a repeater..second AP...a Bridge ...

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Carpinski View Post
    I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this..so I figured I would ask those that know more than me...which is all of you...so don't flame me I admit it

My uncles house is about 100 yards behind his son in laws...who has cable and a wireless access point ..and the cable company won't run the cable all the way back to his house. He has permission to share the cable access with the son in law..

I recomended he just get one of those panel antenna's with built in USB adaptor. They range from 30 to 37db ..so im sure it would get him connected.

The repeaters I have seen only have one antenna...so if i put a big antenna on it..and point it at the front house how will it service the back house?

How do we do it?

A second access point sounds like the ticket for you.A lot of us have multiple AP's in our houses or work areas. Just a side note- Settting up a second AP will not aid you in stealing wifi because it must be configured with the original in a master-slave configuration. I know very little about those repeater things but I'm sure somebody here does.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

How do we do it?

Do you have a clear freznel zone between the two locations? Have you done the math for your link budget? These are things you need to determine before you start to consider which equipment you need to buy.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Settting up a second AP will not aid you in stealing wifi ...yea I saw that comming..

Seriously...My uncle does have permission to use it..whether he's gonna split the bill with em or what I don't know. I fugure they would just let em use it.

Backgroud..the family is tight...10 years ago..daghter/son in law bought old farmhouse..with several acers. Uncle gave em downpayment on house in exchange for 2 acres...uncle then built log cabin retirement house. Now babysiters live right out back..and get used as such.

Seriosly no stealing of wifi here....althoug cable company might not agree..but then again..he tried..they wont run cable 100 yard back.

Frezno zone should not be problem..clear line of site... old 2 story farm house...to log cabin can put anetnnas on both roofs if needed...But figure to start at log cabin first...figure a good antenna to something should do it...

Whats the something..AP/repeater,,,?

Note...uncle can grab notebook..walk out in front yard 50 feet..and connect
    So its close to workin right now

Settting up a second AP will not aid you in stealing wifi ...yea I saw that comming..

Seriously...My uncle does have permission to use it..whether he's gonna split the bill with em or what I don't know. I fugure they would just let em use it.

Backgroud..the family is tight...10 years ago..daghter/son in law bought old farmhouse..with several acers. Uncle gave em downpayment on house in exchange for 2 acres...uncle then built log cabin retirement house. Now babysiters live right out back..and get used as such.

Seriosly no stealing of wifi here....althoug cable company might not agree..but then again..he tried..they wont run cable 100 yard back.

Frezno zone should not be problem..clear line of site... old 2 story farm house...to log cabin can put anetnnas on both roofs if needed...But figure to start at log cabin first...figure a good antenna to something should do it...

Whats the something..AP/repeater,,,?

Note...uncle can grab notebook..walk out in front yard 50 feet..and connect
    So its close to workin right now
    Basically you're looking to bridge the two networks. I bet if you'd google for 'wifi +bridge' the very first hit would be an article the explains it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    Repeaters are only needed if the cable being laid is over 90 meters. You'll have to set up a LAN and use a router to tie the 2 LANS together to make your location an internetwork. remember, a repeater is not necessary unless the cable used to tie the 2 networks together is longer than 90 yards.

Man I like seeing what I learned in college come in use here!!!
    He's talking about Wifi repeaters.