Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NMAP scan of my real IP address

Default Re: NMAP scan of my real IP address

Quote Originally Posted by Linus1907 View Post
    Thanks, #mfBaranian#

So if you secure your router, then the rest of the private LAN is "home free".
    With a few assumptions/exceptions:

1) Routers also run and OS and software which can contain vulnerabilities or for which vulnerabilities may be discovered. Check your vendor (the manufacturer or third party as applicable) for updates regularly.
    2) Physical access.
    3) Wireless.
    4) Mobile devices or laptops on your network.
    5) etc (I'm sure there are more but you get the picture. Your home router is only one amongst many things that should be protecting you or your systems).

Said in another way : NMAP scans are useless, in the "real" world, as long as you have a router in front.
    No. Router != Firewall. In the "real" world routers "route" traffic from the internet to other devices there is nothing that dictates that the devices "inside" the router have only private IPs (i.e.: a router doesn't have to be a NAT device or have NATing enabled). Think of the company you work for or school you attend. It is likely that their outter most connection to the internet is a router "inside" of which is likely a bunch of public devices like a mail server, web server, etc.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

public ip is something that people on internet will see as your ip address
    private ip is something that will be visible in your intranet and not on internet.
    you can see both the ip address here

You quoted on Lincoln's link to an article explaining the public and private addresses.
    I don't see the point.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Quote Originally Posted by tejji View Post
    public ip is something that people on internet will see as your ip address
    private ip is something that will be visible in your intranet and not on internet.
    you can see both the ip address here
    I was posting the link for the OP, I didn't bother to edit the link discription when I first posted it. Which is why I guess you thought it was a question I was asking.

I went ahead and edited the post so it's more clear to anyone else who finds this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12