Thread: Backtrack for windows 7 install!! Please, Take a moment to help a Fellow Marine Out.

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Backtrack for windows 7 install!! Please, Take a moment to help a Fellow Marine Out.

Hey guys... I am comfused, or I may be thinking this through to hard: But I would like to know Which version I need to download with my windows 7. Pretty much, I am asking, What do I download, because do I have to DL linux for windows to run separate in the VMware player? Or what? that is confusing. I will list my hardware below, and please post what I need to make it happen. Its really confusing me... But I do have VMware... I have windows XP Pro on it. I will remove it if needed;

Based on the different Versions of back track there are different sub-load versions that need to be selected that I am confused about. I want to run it from my VMware side of my hard drive. Since its partitioned already for XP, either I can delete that part and start over... Or, Can I download it to VMware and start another remote session with another partition??? Ive got the rooom.... Based on that, which version will work best for my system and which of these below do I need to select in order to download?
    BackTrack Release:
    Window Manager:
    Architecture:
    Image Type:
    Download Type:

My hard drive has 240 GB Free...
    On the partition where Windows XP is stored, has 20 GB. (will remove to install BackTrack)

Also, is VMware alright, or do I need to download another type Virtual desktop? Will do if necessary.

If you have the time, could you please explain this to me? Ive read some of the forums but some of it is a little hazy.. Id really appreciate it if some one could help me with this..
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Sevice Pack 1

System:

Toshiba

Model: Satellite c655D

Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.30GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.60 GB Usable)

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Need more info, just email or post.... thanks.

P.S. Hard drive has 284 GB total with 240 GB Free... Space not issue.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Backtrack for windows 7 install!! Please, Take a moment to help a Fellow Marine

Well, I can see you are indeed confused.

VMWare is to use with windows host and BT5 as a guest..This means, you have a Windows XP, vista or 7 and install vmware in any of them, hen download the BT5 vmware version to install in your vmware.
    ISO is to burn it to a DVD and use it as LiveDVD and Install it on a HDD. Also used in Linux VM installs (Not the same that VMWare, both Virtual machine, but one is free from Oracle and the other $$$$ from VMWare)
    As to desktop, in BT5 you have the kde, gnome, it is up to you, which one you prefer.. I use gnome.

VMware have some limitations, one is it cannot handle internal wifi cards..Only USB..It is a virtual machine, so it probably won't be 100% as the real thing. I prefer 1000 times the hdd installs. I do not even like USB or CF installs.

I've used win7 and xp in my linux vm, and it runs quite well, although some app won't run 100%.

But it is up to you...