Thread: changing backtrack resolution..

Hybrid View

Default changing backtrack resolution..

is it possible to change backtrack resolution I've got backtrack installed on to my hard drive, and when I want to change the resolution to 800x600 it goes into a CLI prompt and then I do startx again but it goes into the previous resolution
    I got 1024x768
    any help appreciated...

xconf is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey106 View Post
    xconf is your friend
    ok, I ran xconf and after doing startx my default and only resolution is 640x480 and I'am not able to change it using the GUI
    does anybody know how to change the resolution

thanks in advance

After logging in on BT2 type startx.
    In the KDE system tray (bottom RHS) there is an icon for screen size and rotate,
    this may help. If however you have low video memory on your graphics card then you may be stuck at a lower resolution, you havent posted any details of what you are using, graphics card and chipset, amount of video memory etc, these help to answer your post

Quote Originally Posted by mephisto View Post
    After logging in on BT2 type startx.
    In the KDE system tray (bottom RHS) there is an icon for screen size and rotate,
    this may help. If however you have low video memory on your graphics card then you may be stuck at a lower resolution, you havent posted any details of what you are using, graphics card and chipset, amount of video memory etc, these help to answer your post
    I'm running bt2 on a vmware machine.....but anyhow here's the video card
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@01:00.0
    version: 00
    size: 64MB
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: vga bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8
    resources: iomemory:f0000000-f3ffffff ioport:c800-c8ff iomemory:ff8fc000-ff8fffff irq:

Set the display properties of the virtual machine to what you want before you start it.

Just burned his ISO

Default Resolution issues...

I'm having the same problem... I'm only able to run 640x480 by default, and don't have the option to select any higher resolutions via the gui, even when 'xconf' has already been ran. Also, I have BT on a HD install, not VM, so setting the display properties of the VM is out.

However, when I hook my HD TV up to my DVI slot on my GPU, then run xconf, I have a plethora of different resolutions to choose from via the GUI. Only problem is, after I disconnect my TV and reboot, the selected resolutions do not save, and I'm stuck with 640x480 again.

1. How do I add higher resolutions to the GUI? (xconf just isn't doing the trick, unless my TV is hooked up of course!)

or

2. How do I save the resolutions if I run xconf with my TV hooked up?

Thanks in advace for your help!!!

LV

linuxbeast

Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You could also install the nvidia driver if you have a nvidia graphics adapter and use the nvidia-xconfig command like I did.