Thread: "/dev/mapper/vg-root does not exist!" error on "fully" encrypted disk.

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default "/dev/mapper/vg-root does not exist!" error on "fully" encrypted disk.

I followed this guide to installing x64 bt5r3 encrypted and everything worked fine, then one day I booted and received the error "/dev/mapper/vg-root does not exist! Dropping to shell!"

I followed the troubleshooting steps at the end of the install guide to no avail. I have googled the issue and followed this guys suggestions as well which have not worked. Would this be because my drive is encrypted?

I have googled a number of miscellaneous ideas that came to mind and followed some shot-in-the-dark suggestions to no avail. Perhaps (hopefully) I am overlooking something simple.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest some things I should look in to?

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: "/dev/mapper/vg-root does not exist!" error on "fully" encrypted disk.

Hi, I'm encountering exactly the same problem since today. Everything was working before. No clue why this stopped working, other than an update from one of the packages is responsible for this.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: "/dev/mapper/vg-root does not exist!" error on "fully" encrypted disk.

well i had this issue myself today......i searchede a bit and found this.......

http://www.nuc.cz/backtrack-5-persis...appervg-root-d

which leads you here......

http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...sk-encryption/

Scroll to the bottom and find the troubleshooting bit.....Basically the error is coz, your boot up has lost its decription capabilities....so these links say to boot from the live cd, mount the partitions and re-install the cryptsetup.....After thinking i realised that i ran "apt-get autoremove" and it removed cryptsetup, and then ran the build initframs process which is used during the inital install process.....

So learned something today...if ever see initfrans running, check that cryptsetup is still installed then re-run initframs

Just burned his ISO

Yes that is the install (and troubleshooting) guide I referred to in my original post but when coming to the part: "mount /dev/mapper/vg-root /mnt/backtrack5", well, being that /dev/mapper/vg-root does not exist, it can't be mounted.

I believe I also ran "apt-get autoremove" which very well could be the cause. I don't know if your system is encrypted as well but I was not able to repair mine. I ended up reinstalling OS.