I have been having issues searching for information about this topic mainly because I cannot think of the proper vocabulary and/or terminology associated with it.
I am trying to find information concerning whether or not it is possible to determine what networks are being sought by wireless devices.

For example: A smartphone or laptop has a list of SSIDs that it has saved for itself, so that when the network comes within range it will automatically connect. From what I understand, there are two methods by which the laptop will know if it is able to connect.
A: The network itself is broadcasting its SSID and such (most common case I think)
B: The network has a hidden SSID or the laptop itself might wish to ping its surrounding networks to determine their identities and decide if it should connect.

I would like to be able to detect which SSIDs (and other connection information) the laptop is looking for, and ultimately be able to replicate the network broadcast using a tool such as Rogue AP or something.

What I really would like to know is if terminology exists for such this idea, because I have had a very hard time finding any information at all concerning this topic, so I feel like I'm missing something. Any help/info about this topic would be much appreciated!