Thread: Can't get to install BT2 on HD.

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't get to install BT2 on HD.

Hi,

I tried several ways to install:

securitydistro.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=251&Item id=43

and: offensive-security.com/documentation/backtrack-hd-install.pdf

But somehow I can't get it to work. In the first tutorial i get an partition named /dev/sda-1, if i use qtparted and use &create I can create the swap file but after that i can't use the &create function anymore.

If i use the second tutorial,when i create a new partiton. It goes wrong with the name. I get 3 partitions /dev/sda3p1, /dev/sda3p2 and /dev/sda3p3. But when i try the command mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3p1 i get this:

Could not stat /dev/sda3p1 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

I used: fdisk /dev/sda3
    p

And I get like i said: /dev/sda3p1, /dev/sda3p2 and /dev/sda3p3.

Any ideas?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by sweetysven View Post
    Hi,

I tried several ways to install:

securitydistro.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=251&Item id=43

and: offensive-security.com/documentation/backtrack-hd-install.pdf

But somehow I can't get it to work. In the first tutorial i get an partition named /dev/sda-1, if i use qtparted and use &create I can create the swap file but after that i can't use the &create function anymore.

If i use the second tutorial,when i create a new partiton. It goes wrong with the name. I get 3 partitions /dev/sda3p1, /dev/sda3p2 and /dev/sda3p3. But when i try the command mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3p1 i get this:

Could not stat /dev/sda3p1 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

I used: fdisk /dev/sda3
    p

And I get like i said: /dev/sda3p1, /dev/sda3p2 and /dev/sda3p3.

Any ideas?
    dude your comands are ****ed. so if your doing a install......

fdisk /dev/sda

then "n"

then "p"

# of partiton "1"

then "enter"

then size "+64M" root partition

do the same for 2 except type "+1024M" for swap

then on the Trd partion
    just press enter twice instead of entering a valuue.
    Finally type "t"
    partition # "2"

then enter "82" to create swap

then "P" to view your table and "W" to commit

Just burned his ISO

Ok, but the partition i want to install BT2 is sda3. I tried the exact commands from the backtrack-hd-install.pdf and instead of sda i used sda3. But it will not work. Im I doing something totally wrong? If i use just sda, wont I delete my copy of windows vista, or am i creating another partition, so my data wont be destoyed? That was what I did, but i just wont work.

If i use the backtrack-hd-install.pdf it says it will wipe all the data of my HD. I dont want that, i want to install BT2 on a nother partition. Not on /dev/sda because thats where my Windows is installed.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, i tried it again: i used this tutorial: tazforum.thetazzone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7201

The problem is, that i have a Sony Vaio, which already has 2 partitions, Windows and Recovery Partition, so im only able te make 2 more partitions when i need 3, is there another way?

1. Buy another HD or an external HD.

2 ..delete your recovery partition in windows..those are useless anyways. Just get you a good back up or recovery disk and it will be ok to delete the Windows recovery partition.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

Default This worked for me.

Be careful not to blow away anything you will want/need.

I had an incredible experience over several hours of reading and trying and this finally worked for me. I am working a longer write up to post and hopefully help others. Good luck.

I have to give credit to:
    networksecuritytech.com/viewtopic.php?p=27486&sid=89df388851d2f43a69790036 b035efe9

Here are the steps:

So as it turns out many people have difficulty installing backtrack 2

Step 1. boot backtrack2 from CD
    Step 2. fdisk /dev/hda
    Step 3. Remove all partitions
    Step 4. Create one primary partition size doesn't matter
    Step 5. write the partition table
    Step 6. mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda1
    Step 7. create /mnt/hda1
    Step 8. Add /dev/hda1 / /mnt/hda1 defaults 1 1 to /etc/fstab
    Step 9. Add /dev/hda1 / /mnt/hda1 rw 0 0 to /etc/mtab
    Step 10. mount /mnt/hda1
    Step 11. run backtrack installer use blank for CD source
    use /mnt/hda1 for installation location
    use /dev/hda for bootloader location
    Step 12. After it finishes move to /mnt/hda1/etc/ and edit lilo.conf
    remove the last line "read only" save & exit
    Step 13. Reboot

This method doesn't utilize a /swap partition... I don't have the time to tell you how to do that. But rest assured you can do it AFTER you installed it using the method used above.

Just burned his ISO

Default thank you

thank you so much. "Step 11. run backtrack installer use blank for CD source" -signal6x . I've been putting /boot in source like the pdf instructions. finally got it to work

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb signal6x - I had the same problems as you...

...and it was your post that helped me to finally solve the BT2 install. Very good info. I can't wait for the new and improved step by step you are working on