I'm running a MacBook Pro (more specifics below). I've installed my own SSD in the main bay and replaced the "Superdrive" (DVD drive) with the original HDD to give me a combination of speed and storage capacity. Operating systems: OSX 10.8.2 on SSD and Windows 7 Professional as a partition on the HDD, installed with Boot Camp. I use an external USB DVD drive as the HDD is where the built-in drive would go(details below). I'm not sure what else you need to know, and I will happily provide more info if you need it.

Several days ago, I downloaded BackTrack 5 R3 (64 bit) and burned the iso to a DVD. After testing for a while on the family iMac, I decided to install it on my MBP. However, when I start the computer using the BT5 DVD, it immediately hangs. Here's what happens: I boot the computer holding the option key to select which operating system I want to use. After the DVD drive spins up, BT5 appears and I select it. The screen goes black for a while and then I am prompted with Boot:_ I press return to select the default boot option and the underscore goes to the next line and continues flashing. After this, the access light on my DVD drive stays off and my laptop begins to increase its fan speed. I've waited with the laptop like this for 30 minutes or so, no changes. Any ideas of what to do? My best guess is that my external drive isn't supported by the drivers, like the graphics on the iMac. (Fixed using xforcevesa.) Two days worth of Google searches have turned up nothing, but its quite possible I missed a solution. A verbose mode could be helpful, if there is any available so early in the boot process.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

hp BD-ROM BDCTD03HA:
Firmware Revision: 1.00
Interconnect: USB
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 4000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO