[LAPTOP] COMPAQ Evo N800c

DUAL BOOTING:
    BackTrack
    WindowsXP

TROUBLE CREATORS:
    LILO
    WindowsXP

MISHAP:
    Now that you have an overview of the situation, I will explain some specifics. I had a recent computer crash and usually I would be able to just go in the advance menu [F8], then just use the "LAST KNOWN GOOD SETTING", and everything would be fine but, unfortunately, this time I just went ahead with regular boot. I waited for awhile but Windoze didn't start so I realized my mistake but it was too late since my current boot had been overwritten as the "LAST KNOWN GOOD SETTING".

SOLUTION:
    Pretty straight forward. Simple boot with Windoze CD and repair your current installation. But to do that I'll have to able to boot with a Windoze CD.

ADDITIONAL PROBLEM:
    I tried to boot normally with a CD/DVD but the computer halts. I have checked to make sure that the CD/DVD are bootable.

QUESTIONS:
    1. As far as I know LILO doesn't support a CD boot option or does it?
    2. I was thinking of booting into BackTrack, placing a Windoze ISO and then trying to boot that ISO file but not sure if that works with LILO?
    3. Again, booting into BackTrack and then replacing the corrupted Windoze files manually, but I haven't came across a resource which had implemented this method. Have you tried it?
    4. Last hope, Network Boot.

Now I'm just wondering if someone here had the same problem and how they managed it?

Any help/suggestion would be great.

If you reboot windows and F8 you should still have the last known good configuration as windows will only update that when you have had a boot fully load.

Try that and report back if it worked or not.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down

I have already tried that but as I mentioned the "Last Know Good Configuration" was overwritten by corrupt files from the crash and now even if I boot with the "Last Know Good Configuration" option. It doesn't work.

efran,

Linux and BT are great for recovery. Boot any LIVE CD inlcuding BT2 and you will be able to "see" the hda C windows files ....which you can then replace via usb flash.

Alacrity

Quote Originally Posted by efrancesco View Post
    ADDITIONAL PROBLEM:
    I tried to boot normally with a CD/DVD but the computer halts. I have checked to make sure that the CD/DVD are bootable.

QUESTIONS:
    1. As far as I know LILO doesn't support a CD boot option or does it?
    2. I was thinking of booting into BackTrack, placing a Windoze ISO and then trying to boot that ISO file but not sure if that works with LILO?
    When you say ISO do you really mean CD?
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrityathome View Post
    efran,

Linux and BT are great for recovery. Boot any LIVE CD inlcuding BT2 and you will be able to "see" the hda C windows files ....which you can then replace via usb flash.
    Except that BT mounts your NTFS drives are RO by default (if I recall correctly).

HARDWARE:

DUAL BOOTING:

ADDITIONAL PROBLEM:

Explain what you mean by "computer halts"

Have you got through the BIOS stages?
    If no what info is displayed on your monitor?

If you get through the BIOS and into Windows XP, are you seeing a BSoD?

In all my dual boot problems, with linux and windows, if grub or lilo corrupts the mbr I boot from a windows ERC and type
    fixdisk /mbr
    fixboot /mbr

to replace the win xp standard mbr.
    Hope that helps

HARDWARE:

DUAL BOOTING:
    BackTrack
    WindowsXP

TROUBLE CREATORS:
    LILO
    WindowsXP

MISHAP:
    Now that you have an overview of the situation, I will explain some specifics. I had a recent computer crash and usually I would be able to just go in the advance menu [F8], then just use the "LAST KNOWN GOOD SETTING", and everything would be fine but, unfortunately, this time I just went ahead with regular boot. I waited for awhile but Windoze didn't start so I realized my mistake but it was too late since my current boot had been overwritten as the "LAST KNOWN GOOD SETTING".

SOLUTION:
    Pretty straight forward. Simple boot with Windoze CD and repair your current installation. But to do that I'll have to able to boot with a Windoze CD.

Now I'm just wondering if someone here had the same problem and how they managed it?

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ghlight=gopher

TROUBLE CREATOR(s):
    WindowsXP rewrites the mbr in some cases

SOLUTION:
    Windows can hassle all it wants with mbr and nothing bad happens to your dualboot. (I have a long and a boring story about irreplacable holiday photos, mbr and "rescue"DVDs )

THE HARD PART:
    You would need to reinstall bt2 following that easy and excellent post.
    ExitOnly@

-----------------------------------------------------
    Learn to live, but live to learn, eh?