Thread: Please help installing Xeoma (webcam software)

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Please help installing Xeoma (webcam software)

Hi all!
    Does anyone recognize the problem I have installing Xeoma_linux on BT5?
    After unpacking xeoma_linux.tgz and running the included Xeoma.app I get the following message: "!! Run Xeoma without ROOT privileges! !!"
    I tried creating a non-root user and running the program again, which gets me a little further, but somewhere along the process I get another error message. Can't remember what is said exactly, but it had something to do with not being able to write to a certain directory. Anyway, I'm at a loss.
    Could someone try for me to get it running, and tell me how it's done?
    Cheerio!
    Mickey

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Please help installing Xeoma (webcam software)

Please post error..As a non-root privileges user, your access to some files and folders are banned..Also post the readme or install .txt see any additional instructions.

When decompress file, all files contained were to be used by all users?...Did you check the ls -la to see them before installing?...

luck.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Please help installing Xeoma (webcam software)

Thanks a lot for your reply, maverick35. I am brand new to BT and have been playing around a bit the last few days. The problem was that I had not set up the non-root user correctly. It's been a bit of a journey. From VM to find out that it doesn't support my wireless. To Live CD to find out that it doesn't work at all. To USB, which works but gets corrupted all the time... To my harddrive... Yet, now, logged on to my new account the program I was asking about does work!

A bit redundant, but just so you know and didn't get into this for nothing. The .tgz only contained the file xeoma.app. The developers website said, execute: chmod a+x xeoma.app and run as usual: ./xeoma.app. When I did this on USB I changed users inside the terminal (su mickey). This time I logged to the new user and started a terminal there. That did it.

Cheers,
    Mickey