Thread: USB External BT2 Install--> Partition Questions

Default USB External BT2 Install--> Partition Questions

Hi,

I can't find the answer to my questions. I searched the forum for a long time but maybe with the wronge words--> or i'm to silly to search.
    Btw: I tried to solve a lot of questions by searching how it should be, but now I just need your help.

1. I've got an externel hard drive about 160GB and I want to install BT2final (real install, which keeps all my changes) on it but also use the rest of the 160GB space as a normal drive where I can store data under windows.Just a normal hard drive.I want to boot it when I change the booting option in bios an i will use this howto: hd-install.pdf

2. How do I manage this: Using BT2 and a windows partition. What I cant understand is, BT2 on its own uses 3 partitions (and of cause i could do this installation. But i wanne have the rest space of the hard drive for normal data under windows. and there should maybe be a 4th partition. But what seems wierd to me is the booting thing which must be write on the hard drive and using it as a windows drive when i plug it in under windows. Hopefully you can understand what I mean.

3. I searched the whole forum but can`t find an answer which size you should give the 3 partitions under backtrack. Of cause swap= 1 GB or less but the rest? I read that you need a lot of space to crack wpa because of the wordlist.And I also read that some people use 40GB is this to big. I just wannt to add only a few tools lik mdk3, and aircrack and driver patches.

thanks and excuse me for my bad english

ok I found/ forgot about this how to:forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7844

but there is one question left, how big the partitions should be

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by goon123 View Post
    ok I found/ forgot about this how to:forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7844

but there is one question left, how big the partitions should be
    swap = standard is 2x your ram. 1024Megs should be plenty

boot\kernal partition = 64megs should be plenty

main root system partiton = 2700 megs is needed for a full install. Some people only need this. If your going to have a dig dictionary for wpa then obviously you need more At this time Im only aware of a 45gig rainbow table for wpa being the biggest but it would expand every time you computed a new essid. Any way so if you have the space use it. Me personally on my new main lappy I have a 160 gig hd so I split it right down the center. 80 for winblows and 80 for back track.but my linux distro is only 6.5 gigs right now but I need 8 or so every time i run vmware or compute a passlist. Anyway the point is if you have the space ,allocate it

Ok so I ve got 4 partitions:

Correct me if the following isn´t right:

1. FAT32--> boot and installing-partition--> only needs 1 GB--> no future use

2. Swap Partition-->dont knwo the english word, maybe calculation-partition--> 2x may ram would be 4GB because i have a 2gb ram, but i think 1gb sould be enough--> nu other use

3. ext2 Partition-->partition where evereything will be stored-->sould be as big as possible-->maybe 40gb

4. FAT32 Partition--> rest of the hd for windows--> 100GB

There shouldn't be any problems with any of that.

Sorry, I didn't ignore your PM you sent me asking all this, I just have not been here to get it before now.

i would like to know if this kind of partitioning is a good thing or do anyone have better suggestions?

What about the swap-space: I have 2 GB ram at my laptop---> so i need 4 gb ram on the swap space or is 1GB enough?

thanks

Default The 4th Partition --- WPA Passw.list ?

Well....here we are....

I have BT2 running on an external HD which is about 120GB in size.
    But at the moment only 10 or 15 GB are used under BT2 for the 3 Partitions.

So I know I can create a fourth partition, what i want to do indeed, because there are nearly 100 GB free space left.

I want this 100GB use for Backtrack and windows.

Indeed I want to have hugh WPA-Passwordlists and the rest should be Windows left.

So I think I create a fourth partition and formate it to fat32.--- Is this possible?
    (To store the password list for backtrack under a fat32 partition and have acess to it)

By the way I ll have to do a lot more reading to get confirm with the wpa passwordlist method, because I haven used one before.