Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ralink Driver Upgrade Help

Just burned his ISO

Default Ralink Driver Upgrade Help

Hello all,

Can someone please offer any links or advice for the proper installation of "fully functional" drivers for the Hawking HWUG1 USB device (Ralink)?

Here is the story:

I recently purchased a Hawking HWUG1 USB device which uses one of Ralink's chipsets. Within a few minutes I was able to crack my Netgear router's WEP encryption with the standard Backtrack v2.0 Final using the aircrack-ng suite. Next I attempted to crack my Belkin router's WPA. Everything seems fine but I could not grab any handshakes even though both my router and my associating client were within arms reach.

After examining the WireShark capture of the session it seems that only the router's half of the EAPOL handshake was received. After reading around of the forums here I stumbled upon a post that seemed like a similar problem and it offered a driver upgrade as the solution.

After installing the new drivers I can capture the complete handshake. However, now the injection test for aireplay-ng v0.9.1 r704 seems to fail making WEP cracking impossible.

So again, my questions are these:
    1. Does anyone know of or have experienced this problem with Ralink?
    2. Which is the right driver for the Hawking HWUG1? (rt73? rt2570? other?)
    3. Which version of that right driver works the best?
    4. What steps do I need to take to install this driver properly?

I have heard mention of "Shaman's" tutorial for installing Ralink drivers but was unable to locate it.

I've tried most every method out there to resolve this little inconvenience. It seems that both versions of the drivers work yet neither perform fully.

Any links/ideas?

I just bought the exact same card, except edimax branded. I believe that the right driver + instructions can be found:

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=rt73

However, I think shaman recommends the 1.1.0 version instead of the 2.0.0. I tried installing the driver via the instructions on that link, but I can't tell if it's implemented correctly. When I run airmon-ng, it shows rt2500 as the running driver, which I don't believe is correct. Is there anyway to check if the driver is installed and running correctly?

*edit* ok for some reason after a slew of ifconfig up/down & airmon-ng start/stop, the airmon-ng command reads rt73 now... But still, is there a way to check for sure? Also, whats the correct source specification for kismet if you use the driver i listed above? I have tried rt73 and rt73usb to no avail. Oh and sorry for adding more questions to your thread sidebottom

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

airdriver-ng loaded

will show you the loaded drivers

airdriver-ng remove NUM

will remove the driver number NUM

the correct output of airmon-ng for rt73 is :

airmon-ng start rausb0

Interface Chipset Driver

eth1 Centrino b/g ipw3945
    rausb0 Ralink USB rt73 (monitor mode enabled)

you see i got rt73 not rt2500, that's because ive uninstall the rt2570 driver wich conflicts with rt73 one......

here is my standard procedure for installing & upgrading rt73
    from a fresh install

so
    uninstall rt2570 & old rt73 :

airdriver-ng remove 25 (click Yes to remove)
    airdriver-ng remove 31 (click yes to remove)

unplug your key

cd /newdriver/Module/

make && make install && modprobe rt73

plug your key

airdriver-ng loaded (will show you rt73 driver only for this card)

you're done

hope helps
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Ok, I have done some searching around yet I was unable to locate the proper place to download Aircrack-ng v1.0dev which I need to use airdriver-ng, right? Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

EDIT: Uh, nevermind, I think I just guessed the URL (trac.aircrack-ng.org/svn/branch/1.0-dev/) and found it. I will report on my successes/failures soon.

yes you can use the software in my signature........

hope you like it...

BackTrack :

Just burned his ISO

Default Success!

What else can I say, the rumors were true...Shaman is the Ralink master.

Everything is working quite perfectly now!

I would like to thank Shamanvirtuel, swc666, and StriderZ for all their input that helped me solve this problem. This community rocks!

glad it works

thx for your kind words, but they are true lol.... i use this chipset since BT1
    all my softs are specially developed with rt73 so you can be sure they all will be functional with rt73 cards

BackTrack :

Just burned his ISO

Default ...

After a reboot it no longer works saving the changes...and now I can't get it to work again using my previous method...was it all just a dream?

Well, back to where I was last night.

Thanks again though for everyone who helped.

bt2 IS A LIVE DISTRO !!!

that means your changes are not saved untill you manage a second partition on your usb in order to save change....; that could be done easily..... search Balding_parrot tutorial or mine on "live install with changes"

ok...Redo procedure after add this tweak to your Live install and you will be ready !!

BackTrack :

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Master-Shaman (do you mind if I call you that? ). I knew BT2 was a live distro so I made a "changes.lzm" module to save the work I did, which obviously failed. Now I can't get the thing back to how we had it. I will start from scratch and report each command etc.

By the way, Master-Shaman, which ralink driver do you use? Could you send me a link? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast